Search the forum,

Discuss Grout removal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I wouldn't use an angle grinder and doubt it would be any quicker anyway. That bosch tool or the fein multimaster (pretty much the same thing) are not so violent if they touch the tile. So preventing chipping. Though an angle grinder if you slipped would just ruin the tiles, and would also be more prone to slipping as it doesn't oscillate, it spins in one direction.

Unfortunately there is no quick way to remove grout. if there was, the grout wouldn't be so good at holding up over time.

Keep chipping away with your bosch.

J

jonnyc

good old dave from trade tiler sells the montolit blades that are only 1mm thick.
hes even got an 80mm diameter blade now which when fixed to a grinder with variable speed can slip between the thinnest of joints providing you ahvea steady hand.
i cannot tell you how good these blades are.
they cost more but last so much longer and are worth every penny.
I managed to cut a 3mm slither of 15mm thick porcelain tile 1000mm long on my overhead saw without it breaking.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Detiling, why are you removing the grout? How thick is the grout line? How much grout do you want to remove? I guess you are regrouting because of discolouration? If so, have you thought about grout colorants? In the past I have used an angle grinder on 5mm grout lines, but the mess in the kitchen was like a volcano had erupted! Cheers Sean

G

giraffeheights

Hello,
we've got approx 60 sqm of floor tiles that have had keracoll fugalite liquid ceramic grout laid down. the colour of the grout looks patchy, we think because of differences in texture due to application. thankfully tiles are big (900x450mm), grout is 3 mm thick. please can you advise on the neatest, most time efficient way of removing this grout so we can re apply to get a uniform finish?
any advice is much appreciated. Cheers.

W

White Room

Get yourself an Exact saw. They sell them on ebay.
They look a bit gimmicky, but i've seen them in action and they are really quick, plus they have a really neat vacumm attachment for doing it dust less. The blade has a depth stop so even if the tiles have under floor heating the cutter they won't get cut.
Great piece of kit.

How much are the blades for them.....

G

giraffeheights

Get yourself an Exact saw. They sell them on ebay.
They look a bit gimmicky, but i've seen them in action and they are really quick, plus they have a really neat vacumm attachment for doing it dust less. The blade has a depth stop so even if the tiles have under floor heating the cutter they won't get cut.
Great piece of kit.

Cheers bugs183. will this work with the liquid ceramic grout? cheers.

I've got a worx handycut (similar to the exact saw ) and it's the dogs at this kind of work. I do a lot of grout removal jobs as most other tilers avoid them and there's good money in it. With this tool its easy and attach a hoover and there's no mess either. Every tiler needs one of these bad boys!!!

Reply to Grout removal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.