Search the forum,

Discuss First Home - Is this wall tiling acceptable? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi - new member looking for some advice.

This is my first home and first renovation work we've had done, so not sure how to judge the quality.

Attached are some picture of our bathroom renovation. This is the second attempt at tiling the walls. The first went quite badly with a lot of uneven and not straight tiles as they hadn't evened out the wall surface. They've now boarded the walls that caused the problem and retiled.

Although the tiles are now straight and certainly better, they just don't seem to be consistently level. There are also some that appear to have small chips taken out of them. Attached a few pictures to try and show it.

With the larger size of these tiles, am I being too much of a perfectionist to think the surface should be even all over? Or is it normal to be a little bit out? I'm not sure what to do given they have already retiled it once. What do you think?

Attachments

• Border.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Chips 2.png
    535 KB · Views: 82
  • Uneven 1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Uneven 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Uneven 3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Uneven 4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 84

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
I agree with Albert, this is a shocking job and there is no reason you should accept this standard of work.
Grouting in chipped tiles is not acceptable in any case and shows the installers lack of respect for the customer and the job he is being paid to undertake.

Thanks for the advice. For context our lead contractor is our plumber who did a great job on our central heating so decided to use him for the bathroom as well - been happy with his work but the guy he contracted to do plastering and tiling is really the issue.

Discussed with him yesterday and agreed that the tiling isn't good enough, and agreed that we could get a second opinion from someone on how best to resolve it. We will not be getting the same guy back again to fix it.

As you might expect the second opinion was to rip it all out and start again. They also pointed out that there aren't just cosmetic issues here, but throughout the wrong adhesives, techniques and materials have been used so this work won't last. (not watertight, dot and dabbed heavy porcelain tiles)

Tough because we like our plumber and he's been screwed by his contractors bad work, and this will cost him a lot to fix. Have provided him with all the info and waiting for him to review and go about fixing it.

Hi - new member looking for some advice.

This is my first home and first renovation work we've had done, so not sure how to judge the quality.

Attached are some picture of our bathroom renovation. This is the second attempt at tiling the walls. The first went quite badly with a lot of uneven and not straight tiles as they hadn't evened out the wall surface. They've now boarded the walls that caused the problem and retiled.

Although the tiles are now straight and certainly better, they just don't seem to be consistently level. There are also some that appear to have small chips taken out of them. Attached a few pictures to try and show it.

With the larger size of these tiles, am I being too much of a perfectionist to think the surface should be even all over? Or is it normal to be a little bit out? I'm not sure what to do given they have already retiled it once. What do you think?
Buy it off Ebay?

Reply to First Home - Is this wall tiling acceptable? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays