Search the forum,

Discuss Finished Course - Go Solo or Shadow? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Claret73

Hi

I guess the route most guys go is Solo, or Part Solo in-between their current job commitments...
I'd like to take it steady after doing the course, as do have a job that pays 'The Magic Tiling' Figure n not wanting to Jack that in a hurry until this shows itself as the route out of my Trade. I'd like to think I could find a Tiler to Assist/Shadow for some time on a full scope of jobs to build up the 'Real World' Confidence & ability...
Wondering how other guys have got on with requests for 'Tiler's Lacky' even if unpaid to get on-site experience before looking to build up & plunge head first into Self Employment.
Considering the amount of Tilers going through courses, you'd think a few would be happy to have assistance & those with a wealth of knowledge to accept new tilers into 'The Real World'...
Any responses appreciated...
Cheers
Andy

G

GazTech

Strange way of thinking that?

Especially as you'll never be in same area all of the time...I can see reasons as to why but then at end of the day people must need an extra pair of hands?? & that's where you can pick up experience...surely that would be reciprocated as & when you need help?
This is unfortunate but true... Big bad world out there trying to forge a new tiling career is not a walk in the park. Eg..a member on this very forum, agreed to have a local new starter come and help, the newbie was a general labourer simply knocking tiles off the floors ( backbreaking stuff manually )..big time lacky. The tiler he was helping out..charged him for his experience. What experience? He never witnessed any tiling.....Gaz

P

Perry

This is unfortunate but true... Big bad world out there trying to forge a new tiling career is not a walk in the park. Eg..a member on this very forum, agreed to have a local new starter come and help, the newbie was a general labourer simply knocking tiles off the floors ( backbreaking stuff manually )..big time lacky. The tiler he was helping out..charged him for his experience. What experience? He never witnessed any tiling.....Gaz
Gaz what a good idea :lol:

C

Claret73

Well Gaz

Fortunately I'm not that Naiive...if he'd have asked me for cash I'd have told him to whistle!...I'm all for doing something for nothing if it gains both parties, but that's taking 'Le P**S!!' & he wouldn't be worth bothering with again...

I'm not 17...got 18 years of work behind me, plenty of time getting shafted & ain't desperate to go through that in a different arena...

Guess it's difficult to put across to others an honest persona & that you do want to get on...well, not given up Sparks yet...
Andy

I

IvegotsTILE

I have to say I wouldn't let anyone shadow me just simply for the fact that puts another tiler in my area to compete against.I originally thought about shadowing someone when I finished my course but what if there not that good,you'll pick up their bad habits.
Its a hard world out there and tiling is mainly a one man show so you have to look after yourself first,family to feed and all that.

R

Raja

dog eat dog business mate best off going solo no one helps any one due to what the previous tiler said going into direct competition SAD i know but that is how it is if i am ever in a tile shop buying owt somtimes see tilers stood around looking at me with ill thoughts but atleast i got off my slim bum and do what ever i can to drum up business. It is hard work but if done properly very rewarding Honesty goes a long way...................

G

GazTech

Cheers Whitebeam

Yer on my list!! :thumbsup:

Great minds think alike & seems not everybody shares a pessimistic view that you're there to learn & take their business...
Bit harsh maybe but guess that's the rub...
Cheers
My view was realistic, not pessimistic... I cannot help but alert people of certain modern day pitfalls associated with our trade, it is is more dog eat dog now..than ever before. If everyone starting up is fully aware of the dangers, it stands them in good stead. I for one won't say that tilers streeets are paved in gold...far from it, you have to be totally comitted, not just involved. Like an egg and bacon breakfast...the chicken was involved, but the pig was totally comitted....lol :lol:

C

Claret73

Gaz

No offence intended...

It's Just a headbanger! My reasons not wishing to jump in feet first after a 6 weeker is that I'm after a Career change like most. So, in 6 weeks, YES! you'll take on plenty, but I'd like to take on more with some experience of a fuller scope, build up the confidence, come across encounters in an everyday environment. I work in a Digital Studio not surrounded by Trades & Industry...

I guess it's hard to put across, but all I was asking without offending was for suggestions to the possibility of gaining experience before I take a leap from my job. If that ends up as Whitebeam states 'helping out on site another tiler' then that'd be what I'm after...not take another Tiler for a ride then disappear with his contacts...

Donvalley...I think this is as 'Honourable' M'Lord as I can Post in words...

G

GazTech

Gaz

No offence intended...

It's Just a headbanger! My reasons not wishing to jump in feet first after a 6 weeker is that I'm after a Career change like most. So, in 6 weeks, YES! you'll take on plenty, but I'd like to take on more with some experience of a fuller scope, build up the confidence, come across encounters in an everyday environment. I work in a Digital Studio not surrounded by Trades & Industry...

I guess it's hard to put across, but all I was asking without offending was for suggestions to the possibility of gaining experience before I take a leap from my job. If that ends up as Whitebeam states 'helping out on site another tiler' then that'd be what I'm after...not take another Tiler for a ride then disappear with his contacts...

Donvalley...I think this is as 'Honourable' M'Lord as I can Post in words...
You have said nothing to offend me Claret..I love your outlook and wish you all the best...I only wanted to point out the harsh reality of todays market. Only go solo when you are convinced you can make it work financially better than what you are doing now.......Gaz:yes:

T

TheWrightTiler

although i wouldnt train a new tiler id be there for advice as long as he or she was a registered member of this forum, as for passing on work, i have a list of 6 tilers in my locality who i would be happy to pass work onto and vice versa if we are busy, at the end of the day its the customer who must be served first, without them we aint got jack ****.

i only use the ones i know as i can vouch for their work standards and as we all have agreed to sing from the same hymn book re prices and prep work, i know i can quote a job and if the dates dont agree, i can pass the details on and the price is the same for the customer.

unfortunately it is a case of who you know now

i laid a floor for a sparky and now he does my ufh connections free as i agreed a deal with him that any other spark work i find id pass to him, suits us both as his connection takes 5 mins and always does after his own work

also for plumbers, get to know them and they will pass work on for you if your work is good, again, i know a plumber who removes sanitary ware for me free cos i pass plumbing work onto him and vice versa

andy

I

IvegotsTILE

Andy well done you jammy git,can't see the plumbers and sparkys I work with doing that.
Claret you make a fair point its just that its hard to keep the work rolling in,on the Topps christmas doo the staff only invited out me and another tiler with them,I had already been out for a few drinks with him with my cousins boss who he does work for.He phoned me up today with a job he's got too much on and is now going to pass me all the jobs he can't do.
I couldn't quite believe it,told one of the lads at topps when I went in and they said they've told him my work is good and the tiler had told him he appreciated the fact that I hadn't tried to steal the work off him from my cousins boss.
I believe in treating people the way I'd like to be treated,seems like its paying off.:hurray:

F

Falcone

I was looking to shadow a friend who's a tiler, he said I could and he'd be happy to help me out. He just got a job with a construction company out of town so it won't be happening now.

...So I'm just gonna throw myself in at the deep end, take the things I learned at NETT and take advice from the superb help on this site to get me through working on my own.

within about 6 months of tiling I reckon I'll have covered the most common aspects of tiling and after that things will get easier. Problems will come and go and I'll learn with every job, not to mention gaining speed on a job.

looking forward to it aswell :thumbsup:

Reply to Finished Course - Go Solo or Shadow? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.