Search the forum,

Discuss External tiling onto a new concrete slab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

llevram

TF
London
Hello all, I have a job coming up to install 20mm thick porcelain large format tiles onto a freshly laid concrete slab (once cured)

Looking for some advice on the following....

1. How long from the day the concrete is poured until you can tile ?

2. I've done this many times in Australia but as climate and weather is a lot different here I can only assume the prep work must be too.... what's the method for sealing the slab?
As in what primer/waterproofing agent do people use in England than coinsides with the English climate?

3. Any other advice anyone's willing to add would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

L

LM

Our guidelines are 6 weeks for a 100mm slab at 20 degrees Celsius as an average.
The surface should be abraided by scrabbling etc to remove the laitanance.
With our climate you should factor in dispersion of water with the inclusion of a system such as Schluter Ditra Drain 8 etc.
An on site specification from your adhesive supplier would be advisable for this project, most reputable manufacturers will provide this for free.

llevram

TF
London
Cheers for your advice.

The concrete slab has aco drains around the outside which is connected to a soak away.

Would you recommend a liquid Dpm to be applied to the slab before
Tiling?

Also can SLC be applied over the top of the dpm or does that have to be applied first?

Thanks
Our guidelines are 6 weeks for a 100mm slab at 20 degrees Celsius as an average.
The surface should be abraided by scrabbling etc to remove the laitanance.
With our climate you should factor in dispersion of water with the inclusion of a system such as Schluter Ditra Drain 8 etc.
An on site specification from your adhesive supplier would be advisable for this project, most reputable manufacturers will provide this for free.

T

Tommythetiler80

IMG_0588.JPG

T

Tommythetiler80

Yeah cheers JC, I know what I would use, just curious as to what Tommy did.
Thanks.
Hi mate, I was going to use ardex k80 But priced it and was going to be double the price of levelFlex but I spoke to tilemaster gathered the info I needed and went with their product as I'm familiar with it (use it on a daily basis). Also the floor in a couple of months is going to be tiled. Hope that clears your curious mind ;)

O

Old Mod

Hope that clears your curious mind ;)

Well not really.....
See, here's the thing, you said you applied a bitumen based dpm over concrete.
Then two coats of sbr and levelled. (In essence)

Now I've always attempted to remove any bitumen based product before any tiling works, including levelling.
But you're saying that it's ok just to prime with sbr when I've always believed you have to apply a mechanical primer, like prime and grip, to bitumen residue, not coating, then level.
So am I misunderstanding you, or am I missing something.
Black Jack to me has always been a bitumen based vinyl tile adhesive.
So this is where my confusion stems from.

O

Old Mod

Well , I spoke to tilemaster on the phone and explained what I was planning on doing and they had no hesitation in instructing me what to use before levelling. Maybe I'm wrong then
If that's what you were instructed by them, then ok, I know they stand by their word.
I was just trying to clarify it for my own piece of mind, that's all.
Cheers.

Reply to External tiling onto a new concrete slab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays