Search the forum,

Discuss Damp proofing concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
LEYLAND
I would not use Black Jack as it is a bitumen based product and will be difficult to get a good adhesive bond to. Try an epoxy damp proof liquid membrane, most are two coat systems and are easy to apply, then gritty prime and then SLC. Why do you need Ditra? Is there under floor heating going down?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Houses of this age are not designed to have damp proof floors and you could end up doing huge amounts of damage if you are not caareful. Firstly is it modern concrete i.e. made with cement rather than lime. Is there a polythene damp proof membrane underneath it... I hope no but sometime bad things are done in the name of improvement. If not then you have rising damp which a liquid dpm is not designed for anyway. Personally would look for breathable systems like they use a lot in Italy where the buildings are often very old. If you have to damp proof I would look at ditra rather than a liquid system. At least this would allow movement of moisture vapour offering less damage to the building.

Lakey

TF
Crawley
Houses of this age are not designed to have damp proof floors and you could end up doing huge amounts of damage if you are not caareful. Firstly is it modern concrete i.e. made with cement rather than lime. Is there a polythene damp proof membrane underneath it... I hope no but sometime bad things are done in the name of improvement. If not then you have rising damp which a liquid dpm is not designed for anyway. Personally would look for breathable systems like they use a lot in Italy where the buildings are often very old. If you have to damp proof I would look at ditra rather than a liquid system. At least this would allow movement of moisture vapour offering less damage to the building.
Cheers for the response.
There are 2 adjoining concrete floors, one with a visible DPM underneath that ranges from 70mm-3omm and one that is relatively 'modern' and appears to be deeper.
We have already SLC'd and can see no visible damp areas. We will be using Ditra Duo so i'm happy that will deter and moisture from coming up!

Reply to Damp proofing concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays