Search the forum,

Discuss Council installed balcony tiles without any grout...? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tardigrade

Hello!

Council (freeholder) gave retiled my balcony as they had to fix the one above me so figured they'd do it at the same time. They finished ages ago but I only just walked out on to it (crazy I know) and noticed there are just big gaps between the tiles, and nothing in them. I'd expect some kind of grout? Also, some of them "give way" when stepped on...

tiles.jpg

craig89

TF
brighton
They look like promenade tiles to me. specifically used on asphalt covered balconies and left un-grouted so as to allow drainage through the joints and under the tiles at the same time.
They are normally stuck down using a polymer modified adhesive that is applied to the back of the tile in a W style configuration (hence the water can drain through the under side of the tile and (normally) into a corner drain outlet.

craig89

TF
brighton
Looks like they have been fixed with expanding foam?
It is a type of expanding foam but comes in a plastic bottle. It’s applied to the back of the tile and expands as it reacts to contact with the asphalt. You’ll never get a perfect finish but it’ll normally do a good job of making a balcony non-slip.

Reply to Council installed balcony tiles without any grout...? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays