Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Apologies mods of this needs to go elsewhere.. please feel free to move it or bin it!

Riiiight.. here goes....

We've been in our first house nearly 2 years now. We've (well ... more like I'VE!) done everything else bar the bathroom. It's an old 1800's cottage so the bathroom was in a pretty bad way. Solidly built but nasty and OLD!

I decided a few weeks ago to RIP it out and start from the beginning.

First task was to move the hot water cylinder from in the bathroom to a new cupboard outside the room (thanks to Scruff from ultimatehandyman.co.uk for the advice!)

Now you see it...

7599aa0b.jpg

Now you dont!

984bc1db.jpg

Ive taken quite a lot out..

CARNAGE

6ea9c026.jpg

80443c6c.jpg

Well, I picked up a load of bits today..

Marmox goods and tiles!

dd3c2c45.jpg

25b0ec7e.jpg

57a0edf2.jpg

98dac92b.jpg

8fe80143.jpg

New shower pump for the house too

89a80179.jpg

Also have taken delivery of a taptile wireless light switch system Taptile - Ditch the switch one-touch mood lighting and dimming solutions for the bathroom and kitchen

6 astro glass downlights

an airflow icon15 extractor fan

and some Polk RC60i ceiling speakers

and a couple of remote water isolation switches about surestop

More bits arrive tomorrow.. i'll update this thread as I go along... im taking next week off to start the plumbing and install!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Dave - despite all the preparation the final fixing of the tiles and subsequent grouting is what this job is all about.
As you have shown a warts an all account of the 'Bathroom project' you are to be commended for asking all the questions and using the information to put together an excellent thread.
However to offer what I hope can be taken as constructive advice - I think that the fixing of the mosaic in the tray could have been straighter and the first full tile on the second row of wall tiles from the tray is showing a lippage shadow that should be altered. As I'd previously posted my concern at the broken bond pattern you have chosen, this design pattern can be difficult to complete if the tiles are bowed.

D

davemul

taken as so John :)

Mosaics in the actual flesh look great.. i think my pony photo taking skills accentuate it a bit more than it really is. As for the lipped tile, indeed there is. That wall was VERY bad and I had a hard time getting it ironing board straight :( However again in the flesh its ok for me. Im not a pro and know that, and appreciate the constructive criticism mate. This is my first ever bathroom.. hopefully 2nd one will be better :)

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
You should be proud of yourself Dave I really like the bathroom.

One thing I learnt early on as a bathroom fitter was downlighters will highlight tile lippage, but if a tile won't push in anymore what can you do, take the tile off and hack away at the tanking? Ha ha...

Imagine after all your hard graft in that room if when you've finished you had to turn your back, walk away and never see it again!

Now you know how I feel.

Q

Qwerty

Good theory with the Cornertape - I got some to try to improve my silicone skills but was very disappointed with it, I've still got a roll knocking about (it was for some kitchen walls tho, so maybe a bit more fiddly than larger bathroom areas). Other opinions may differ obviously

But I don't think you can beat the old masking tape method

Cornertape is far superior to masking tape for numerous reasons. What went wrong when you used it. What size did you use.

I still use masking tape at times, but for speed you cant beat cornertape IMO

D

davemul

help required!

corner tape was USELESS.. i woul dhave done a better job applying silicone with my big toe!

long story short.. I need to remove ALL the silicone i put on.

thats 2 floor lengths and 2 walls! I am this close to throwing the towel in! I was fuming last night

this also cost me a new 40" tv.. new screen required!

can anyone help advise the best way to remove all the silicone so I can start again!?

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I'm a master with a silicone gun...

Get good quality Mapei or Dow corning silicone, silicone finishers (eg Karl Dahm, Fugenboys) and some silicone wipes.

Remove existing silicone with razor blade or knife and use sugar soap to remove grease, then apply a nice consistant bead of silicone. The nicer the bead at this point the better the result.

I use the Fugenboy set and the smaller of the three I use most of the time, I tend to wet the fugenboy a little and run it over the silicone holding it tight against the corners. If you have over applied the silicone then it will ooze out and smear up the walls, if that is the case keep cleaning the Fugenboy and go over it again.

It will give a clean crisp silicone joint, use the Wonder Wipes to carefully wipe away the smeared residue from around the silicone. Be careful not the contaminate the silicone with the wipes as it will affect the adhesion.

Dave you smashed your bathroom TV or was that a joke?

Q

Qwerty

Dave, what happened. How did it take so long to apply the tape? Admittedly the corners where 3 lines meet can be tricky, but not too long at all. How long did you leave the silicone before smoothing, then pulling away tape, then any final finishing?

Im not looking at picking fault mate, just need to know so we can try and find out how it went wrong, and so others know what not to do.

My suggestion from what you state is that you may have left the silicone too long with the tape down which has made it semi-cure, hence the poor finish. Either that or it had already started going off when you smoothed it. Pics should show what went wrong matey

You really didnt smash the TV did you?

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I can imagine Dave slumped in a corner, unshaven with a bottle of vodka in a brown paper bag. Silicone really can drive people mad.

What I tend to do when siliconing say... a shower tray for example is to silicone the vertical tile to tile joint the day before and then the tile to tray joins the next day.

That way I don't drag wet silicone from the 3 way corner and spoil it. Even though I use Fugenboys I still find a wet finger tidys it up.

I was in a nice looking bathroom once and my eye was caught by something a miss in the shower, I opened the shower door and feasted my eyes on THE WORST silicone job I've ever, or will ever see.

It was 2 inch up the walls and had been applied with two fingers in an absolute total mess, it looked as though a child had just gone mad with a silicone gun.

Reply to Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.