Search the forum,

Discuss bal fracture mat. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnryan

hello all, was just wondering if anyone has any reviews on the new matting from bal. they've had it on display at ctd for about a month now, but so far they're telling me only one contractor they know has been using it (seems they're happy with it from what they say at ctd). don't have any plans to use it myself for now, but was interested to see if anyone here has any experience of it yet. looks like it could be a big saver on adhesive, though looking closely at it, i have some misgivings about how well it would perform. also they couldn't tell me if it can be used to fast track green screeds instead of ditra. can't see how it does as it doesn't seem to have any kind of moisture dispersal system. can anyone here enlighten on this? looking forward to any replies, reviews or info. cheers. john

T

TJ Smiler

Funny enough i bumped into Gary Knowles the other day (A Bal Rep) and he was singing it's praises too (but i suppose he would being a rep for Bal). He explained that it is just as effective as Ditra but with half the cost on adhesive. Have not used it yet but he did give me a small sample so will get a small floor at some point and then give you my thoughts on it....... I did think that due to it only being 1mm thick that it would be good when bringing a wall out for mosaic ie; the dog tooth method. Just an idea.

J

johnryan

J

johnryan

Funny enough i bumped into Gary Knowles the other day (A Bal Rep) and he was singing it's praises too (but i suppose he would being a rep for Bal). He explained that it is just as effective as Ditra but with half the cost on adhesive. Have not used it yet but he did give me a small sample so will get a small floor at some point and then give you my thoughts on it....... I did think that due to it only being 1mm thick that it would be good when bringing a wall out for mosaic ie; the dog tooth method. Just an idea.

look forward to reading that post. like the idea of using it for flushing mosaics up with the field tiles too.

J

johnryan

I can't honestly see how the Bal mat can compete with Ditra, there is no way possible how a 1mm mat can be the same as a mat equivalent of the construction of Ditra.
my thoughts exactly and having seen it in ctd i wonder how exactly it works. however, saying that you'd think if a company like bal put something on the market like this, it must be up to spec. will be interesting as time goes by to see how it does,
and in ctd it works out at 9 per meter plus vat, so it's not cheap, though that could be mitigated by the reduction in adhesive costs.

T

The D

the firm i am subbing to uses it i have used it on about 6 floors now and it is ok dose it work ?????? we will see would i buy it for my jobs not a chance. BAL bring out a mat that is unproven put it at the top end for price and bleat on about how it will save you money because it uses less adhesive but you have to use BAL adhesive so it is twice the price anyway so you save nothing and the mat has no legs to stand on yet. just another example of the arrogance of the BAL brand

Reply to bal fracture mat. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays