Search the forum,

Discuss Bal Charcoal Grout & cold water!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hey all,:thumbsup:

Just wondering if you have any handy tips to remove black grout off your hands?!!

There is still remenence on my hands from a job last week! Just to keep the wife off my back :furious3: (She wants to be happy I', not a fishmonger:yes:)

Also Is it ok to warm your cold water slightly - I was on a job the other day and the water was coming from a local loch and was near freezing! (I'm not just soft!:lol:) It was a large floor though!

Cheers

AK

S

sWe

Why don't you use rubber gloves with a thin cotton lining while grouting? Eliminates both the stained/dried up skin problem, as well as most of the cold problem. :thumbsup:

I also use a special before-work hand creme which makes it alot easier to clean my hands after work, as the grime won't stick as easily. Good tool and material stores should have those.

As for removing grout stains from your hands: Try diluting some white vinegar in some warm water. Soak your hands a bit, and use a brush or some scotch brite.

R

rsl tiling

Hey all,:thumbsup:

Just wondering if you have any handy tips to remove black grout off your hands?!!

There is still remenence on my hands from a job last week! Just to keep the wife off my back :furious3: (She wants to be happy I', not a fishmonger:yes:)

Also Is it ok to warm your cold water slightly - I was on a job the other day and the water was coming from a local loch and was near freezing! (I'm not just soft!:lol:) It was a large floor though!

Cheers

AK

Yep fine to use warm water nothin worse than cold hands!,tescos to the cheap yellow household gloves for about 60p for 2 pairs :thumbsup: i buy them by the bucket load,saves the old hands

S

sWe

Yep fine to use warm water nothin worse than cold hands!,tescos to the cheap yellow household gloves for about 60p for 2 pairs :thumbsup: i buy them by the bucket load,saves the old hands

Actually, it's generally not ok to use warm water, in part because that accelerates the curing process. That can facilitate shrinkage, which might cause cracks. Curing faster than it's supposed to, can also cause the grout to become weaker than intended.

If nothing else is stated in the product specs, the temperature of the water is usually supposed to be between 15 and 20 degrees celsius, but that's not exactly warm. The norm is to use "cold" water.

It's far better to use gloves with a little bit of insulation if the colds gets to you, as that won't compromise the quality of the grout :thumbsup:

Why don't you use rubber gloves with a thin cotton lining while grouting? Eliminates both the stained/dried up skin problem, as well as most of the cold problem. :thumbsup:

I also use a special before-work hand creme which makes it alot easier to clean my hands after work, as the grime won't stick as easily. Good tool and material stores should have those.

As for removing grout stains from your hands: Try diluting some white vinegar in some warm water. Soak your hands a bit, and use a brush or some scotch brite.
Thanks mate,

Great idea to used lined gloves- I've been using Latex which dont help with the water temp up here!

I'll have a look for that cream too! - All helps eh!

Cheers

AK
----
I did a large hallway in black grout and had black stains all over my hands for nearly 2 weeks :lol:
Got the majority off (9 days now!) Tempted to use it on my shoes for a wedding I've got to go to next week!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bal Charcoal Grout & cold water!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.