Search the forum,

Discuss Backer board on plaster? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, I have to tile an area abovr the bath which will be a shower enclosure.

Some of the plaster I've had to knock off and replace as it was blown.

I was just going to tank over this before tiling, however approx half the area of the wall is still old plaster, and whilst it's not hollow it is pretty old, so am concerned it may fail.

I therefore thought mechanically fixing backer board would be a better option, howbert the fixings would have to go through the plaster and into the brickwork behind.

Is this ok to do? If so, can you just use normal screws a d Rawl plugs? I see on the Hardie backer instructions it suggests using cement board fixings but can't figure out what these are. Cheers

Reply to Backer board on plaster? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays