Search the forum,

Discuss asphalt substrate! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
at 20mm deep I would think you need to be wary. You can tile into Asphalt but you would probably need to overlay it first. There are a few options for this. You could use a gypsum based levelling compound. You could use a cement SBR slurry or you could use an epoxy sealer. Most people I know who have done this (not that many to be fair as it is not a common domestic substrate) have gone for the SBR cement slurry option. I would also use an uncoupling membrane to be on the safe side and to prevent any possibility of migration of the bitumenous oils which could stain your tiles long term

Others may have other options availbe

T

terrygrant

SBR is a liquid much like PVA to look at but dont think you can use PVA insead as you will come unstuck (please excuse the punn :)
You mix it with neat portland cement and paint it onto the ashphelt then apply your adhesive for your tiles or decoupling membrane while it is still tacky so its fairly straight forward.
Good luck

Terry
On The Tiles (Hillingdon) Ltd
On The Tiles - Professional Tiling Service - High Quality Tiling London

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The membrane under the asphalt on top of the sand is most likely a simple DPM. Common practice with screeds. As for the levelling compound I would suggest this simply to give you a flat level surface on which to tile. If you use the SBR/Cement Slurry you would need to use a cement based levelling compound. Go for a flexible one because the asphalt will expand and contract more than would a solid concrete fore example.

V

vosnack

The membrane under the asphalt on top of the sand is most likely a simple DPM. Common practice with screeds. As for the levelling compound I would suggest this simply to give you a flat level surface on which to tile. If you use the SBR/Cement Slurry you would need to use a cement based levelling compound. Go for a flexible one because the asphalt will expand and contract more than would a solid concrete fore example.

I'm gonna use either slurry or levelling compound. But thanks for advice regarding compliance(not sure if correct word) of slurry with SLC(that it need to be cement base), good for the future. I'm more likely to use the slurry.
By stating go for a flexible, you meant flexible adhesive or compound? I assume you meant adhesive.

T

terrygrant

In my opinion the best Self Leveling compound I have ever used is Mira X-Plan. It is a polymer modified latex but what seems to make its performance superb is that it has fibre reinforcement. It can be built upto 50mm in one pour as well. However it is expensive and likley to cost around £25 per bag in small quantities but you can get down to about £15 if you a buy a palette and haggle(all ex vat)

Available from Trimline

Terry

Reply to asphalt substrate! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.