Search the forum,

Discuss Anhydrite or Concrete - dont know in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Filip

TF
Midlands
Thought I would have an easy job to tile my daughters new build house kitchen floor but then I start reading on help forums about Anhydrite floors. But I do not know if she has one or not, its a new build Barrett home.
My local supplier stocks Tilemaster and I see that they do Anhyfix but the spec says it is not suitable for a normal concrete floor which I do not know if she has.
So what to do - do I sand and then SBR or APD and then use a normal cement based adhesive.

Filip

TF
Midlands
Thanks chaps for the quick reply,pictures attached I will get my daughter to ask the site people as it is a big build that will be going of for years. I will have a look and a poke but I have a picture taken when they let us in at pre plaster stage to see where all the pipe and cables were and it looks a bit light grey like the photos of Anhydrite I have seen. But another one taken the other day when they had to rip out and replace a cupboard looks like sand and cement.

DSC02629floor.jpg floor2.jpg

Last edited:

Filip

TF
Midlands
been over today and spoke to a site manager who said that the floor is concrete and then its floated to give a smooth surface. On closer inspection I can see that some of the top smoothed layer has come off leaving a harder screed looking surface.Some areas are compleatly free of any top surface. Some of the smoothed areas are quite hard and others are easily scrapped off. Is there anything wrong with this approach.
Sand off the areas that are weak and leave the rest.
Seal with two coats of Prime Plus | Flexible Primer & Bonding Agent | Tilemaster Adhesives - http://www.tilemasteradhesives.co.uk/preparation-products/primeplus-flexible-primer-and-bonding-agent
And then use Standard Set Extrabond | Standard Setting, Polymer Modified, Wall and Floor Tile Adhesive - http://www.tilemasteradhesives.co.uk/adhesives/standard-set-extrabond-tile-adhesive
Its a kitchen and the tiles are ceramic 60x30.
Attached close up pictures of floor

P1000840.JPG P1000841.JPG P1000843.JPG P1000844.JPG

T

Time's Ran Out

Check the stock before you start!
I had the same situation last year with this range.
Topps advertise that they are made in Britain and are suitable for floors - both facts are not true. The tile they show is a white biscuit wall tile that they are selling like BCT tiles with soft glaze, totally unsuitable for floors. However the tiles I received boxed as above were in fact porcelain and made in Turkey!
When this was pointed out to Topps in M25 corridor area of Redhill they stated that they were changing supplier of this range and hadn’t updated their webpage!
So they are advertising a British range of ceramic tiles to look like British quarried stone, but switching the supply to a Turkish porcelain without telling you! Sums them up really.

Filip

TF
Midlands
Last edited:

Filip

TF
Midlands
looks like a screed layence has settled on surface like anhydrite i would sand off as this is loose and will not secure the adhesive or slr and must be removed before tiling
From what I have learnt over the past 48 hours that is also my thinking, its like some areas were wetter than others and its just pools of cement dust gone hard in those areas, if it comes off then I will take it off. Am I ok with the primer I plan to use, reason being its what the local supplier stocks

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If its barratts outside London and its a house it is probably self compacting concrete. Not only would it have laitance it will also have a curing agent on it. As with all screeds and concretes it should be mechanically abraded prior to bonding floor coverings.

T

Tile Shop

Just looked myself and yes it does doesn't it, I am getting my daughter to send me a picture of the end of the box with the info on but while she is sending that - here are a couple of shots from the brochure

View attachment 96590 View attachment 96591

For anyone who cares or was unaware or for future reference, the term "ceramic" can be confusing. We commonly know it as a glazed clay tile, but its also a description used in the industry as an umbrella term for any clay product that goes through a firing or kilning process, which also includes porcelain (glazed, double loaded, twin charged and full bodied), quarry tiles and several forms of terracotta.

As you were :)

Filip

TF
Midlands
I dont actually know what the difference is in terms of working with and I am still unsure why a previous poster said they were not suitable for the floor. And why choose a porcelain tile over a "normal one" as also am I right to think I will be needing a 8mm wheel for my Bellota cutter as it only came with a 6mmm and I have tiled a bathroom - floor to ceiling with that little fella

EDIT - just seen the
Tile water absorbtion experiment
so water proof is 1 reason to use porcelain over ceramic

Last edited:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire

Reply to Anhydrite or Concrete - dont know in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays