Search the forum,

Discuss Supplier or ideas for stone shower bench? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

B

BigGeeGee

The wife has got it in to her head that our new walk in wet room (shower size in the room of 5mx4m is 1.5x1.5m) needs one of those shower benches she's seen in a lot of American bathrooms. Good idea, bad idea - it's happening for my quiet life :)

I was hoping that this might be a standard item, with some predefined sizes (lengths) of bench and then select the material etc but I'm beginning to think this is very much a custom piece of stone. Granite, (man-made) Quartz, Marble etc

Before I go down that route, does anyone know a supplier of ready made shower bench? Is this something we don't see that much of in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Whats the floor made of timber or masonry? Theyre easy enough to custom build, Ive done one recently that was on masonry... Just built it up with some blocks, covered with jackoboard, tanked where needed, then tiled with a slight fall so no sitting water..

20180824_111844.jpg

C

Concrete guy

Find your local stonemasons yard or granite worktop installer and pop in and ask what off cuts they have available and could they run you up a straight piece for your shower.

Go armed with accurate dimensions and tell them what edges you'd like polished and if you'd like them polished square or round (bull nosed). Round costs more.

You'd be surprised how inexpensive it can be if you're flexible with what you'd like fitted.

I'd personally avoid man made quartz. Marble or granite will be most appropriate.

C

Concrete guy

Quartz really doesn't cope with temperature change all that well. Some makes struggle with moisture, others fade in UV light and many are susceptible to etching when exposed to chemical.

Whilst natural stone (particularly marble) will also etch/discolour. It's a lot easier to refinish, particularly surface refinishing.

I'm not a fan of quartz mainly due to the difficulties in maintenance and refinishing long term.

Reply to Supplier or ideas for stone shower bench? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement