Search the forum,

Discuss To Tile or not to Tile... (myself) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and I am a avid DIYer. I am looking at installing some "wood effect" porcelain tiles in my downstairs hallway/kitchen/utility room/WC.

I have only previously helped my dad with tiling projects at home and I am wondering if this is a job to big to take on as my first "solo" job? (totalling about 35-40 sqm2)

I have been researching it quite a lot and speaking with my dad a bit and have the confidence to try and do it myself.

is there any tips or tricks / improvements you could give me on my below plan?

1) check floor is level and fix if needed otherwise lay tiles straight onto the dry concrete slab
2) measure the middle line with a chalk line (dry lay and cut some tiles), but start at the kitchen unit edge to make sure the tile is straight to this.
3) mix adhesive and use a trowel at 45° to get the correct thickness. and back butter the tiles as being wood effect they are classed as LFTs.
4) looking to use something like the T-lock levelling system to aid in the achievement of keeping all tiles level to the surrounding tiles.
5) grout when adhesive is fully dry.

other question I have, what grout thickness should I go? 1, 2, or 3 mm? I would like to achieve the most professional finish possible (as all good DIYers) as well as the most realistic to a hardwood floor structure.

Regards,
Josh

Filip

TF
Midlands
I also am DIY but have done quite a lot of tiling as a DIYer I have used sealer in the past and seems to do a good job, water beads up on the grout. But I did a kitchen with Tilemaster 3000 grout and the sealer would not touch the grout it just sat there and beaded up so looks like the 3000 grout already has great waterproofing.
In that 3x3 kitchen + small extra area I left a 3-5mm gap and rather than use grout I opted to a (near as )matching silicone, I would of had the skirting off but it was my daughters new build and she was not keen so they were left on. - picture
floor-6-jpg.96890

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to To Tile or not to Tile... (myself) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I am looking for 1 wickes Mississippi grey tile - damaged 1 tile in my kitchen and they have been discontinued 😭😭 looked everywhere online - wondered if anyone could help😞
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement