Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone Dealing With Topps Tiles?? in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Billy, the point is that in the past i have tried Topps to get the odd bag of adhesive or trim while out and about around the country so as to finish a job. i am met with high prices, I am clearly trade and can prove so but I dont want to open an account as I get my gear from elsewhere and more local. So being charged almost £15 for a length of metal trim or being asked for almost £52 for SPF white ( and your own brand too) doesnt wear too well with me.

Why is it that Topps want £52 for your own brand and I walk across the road and into TileGiant and get Mapei for less than half that ?
Cant you see that you/Topps are the loser ?
TileGiant are the more friendly store and I dont say that because I use them all the time , its from experience ! They are not even my main supplier, but i get good prices throughout the country where ever I may be.

M

mikethetile

nice try Billy

but your price match is like for like and cant compare on price with mapei, bal is expensive wherever you buy it

your topptrade deals are too little too late for most of us as we have suffered at the hands of topps so many times over recent years, and these problems have been recent as most of us older hands have been happy to use topps in the past

both mapei and tilegiant have recognised the needs of the trade and met them, as a result they have been allowed to sponsor tilers forum

topps have a lot to do to catch up and retain their market share but I feel that if it wasnt for tg opening up stores on topps doorstep topps still wouldnt have considered changing and tbh its going to take a lot more than a few toppsdeals to swing it

B

Billy1973

Billy, the point is that in the past i have tried Topps to get the odd bag of adhesive or trim while out and about around the country so as to finish a job. i am met with high prices, I am clearly trade and can prove so but I dont want to open an account as I get my gear from elsewhere and more local. So being charged almost £15 for a length of metal trim or being asked for almost £52 for SPF white ( and your own brand too) doesnt wear too well with me.

Why is it that Topps want £52 for your own brand and I walk across the road and into TileGiant and get Mapei for less than half that ?
Cant you see that you/Topps are the loser ?
TileGiant are the more friendly store and I dont say that because I use them all the time , its from experience ! They are not even my main supplier, but i get good prices throughout the country where ever I may be.

Are you a registered trader? if so it does not matter where you go in the country you will get the same price from any topps as long as you have your card, once you have registered (which can be done online) silver trim is under £6 and SPF white is under £18 all inc vat.

and yes like any multi nation company you have good staff and bad staff.

Would you like us to sell all our products at trade to joe public?

B

Billy1973

nice try Billy

but your price match is like for like and cant compare on price with mapei, bal is expensive wherever you buy it

your topptrade deals are too little too late for most of us as we have suffered at the hands of topps so many times over recent years, and these problems have been recent as most of us older hands have been happy to use topps in the past

both mapei and tilegiant have recognised the needs of the trade and met them, as a result they have been allowed to sponsor tilers forum

topps have a lot to do to catch up and retain their market share but I feel that if it wasnt for tg opening up stores on topps doorstep topps still wouldnt have considered changing and tbh its going to take a lot more than a few toppsdeals to swing it

simple question then.....which is the better product to use BAL or mapei? if price was not the issue? As i have only used BAL my self and that the reports that I get is only from my traders...If Topps stocked mapei would that be better?

As for price match....yes thats the company line but as a business person if its a like for like why not beat the price? the only products I will not match with are the likes on unibond...

I do believe that if you take a look on topps trade website you may be a little surprised as the the price of some lines....

there only thing topps ask of it traders is that you are registered with them so that the trade prices are only given to try trade customers not Joe public

G

Gazzer

Are you a registered trader? if so it does not matter where you go in the country you will get the same price from any topps as long as you have your card, once you have registered (which can be done online) silver trim is under £6 and SPF white is under £18 all inc vat.

and yes like any multi nation company you have good staff and bad staff.

Would you like us to sell all our products at trade to joe public?

No I am not a registered trader with Topps and nor wil I be it seems. Some years ago I tried for an account and was told they werent giving any accounts out at the time ???
My point is, i went to TileGiant and opened an account on the same day, no hassle, no problems, decent prices and good adhesives not rebranded at excessive prices like Topps.
From talk I see on this forum it seems that to get a real trade price you must be a regular in Topps...but why use Topps at all when my local independant dealer can give me far better prices on everything and when working away I can use TileGiant without the hassles you impose.
If you want our trade then start playing ball !

G

Gazzer

simple question then.....which is the better product to use BAL or mapei? if price was not the issue? As i have only used BAL my self and that the reports that I get is only from my traders...If Topps stocked mapei would that be better?

That will be a never ending question as we all have our own likes. Bal is expensive, this doesnt mean I want a cheap low grade adhesive, I want something sensibly priced and something I can trust. I get this with Mapei, also Biscem.
When it comes to Grouts and sealants, for me Mapei beats all...colours that last, no efforecence, matching Silicones. Also the fact that if at a push while woriking away or on a Sunday certain items are available in Screwfix . Relable access to a product is a key factor for me.

P

Perry

topps offer a price match, if you are a registered trader and can show that you can get something else cheaper we will beat that price by 5%.
If the manager there will not do this then as a TT employee he/she is not doing the company justice. I for one run a store in the south and have a 70/30 split trade/retail.

yes we are under pressure to maintain a higher gross profit but as i see it "mr & mrs smith will spend £1000 once in 10 years" but " mr trade will spend that each and every week" So both will get my up most attention yet I will build up a re-pore with mr trade.

Our toppstrade products along with some extras have gone over a big price reduction as late along with some new toppstrade lines that have come in these are going down very well with my trade

some of us know the SRP and as Neale says you pop in to get somthing when you are in the trade and they try to mug you and after 2 or 3 times you never go back even if it costs you more in travel and time because we dont like getting ripped off you may get away with it with mr public but not with me :pete

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

some of us know the SRP and as Neale says you pop in to get somthing when you are in the trade and they try to mug you and after 2 or 3 times you never go back even if it costs you more in travel and time because we dont like geting ripped off IMO :pete

Bang on Pete, we dont need the hassle, we just need the gear without being ripped off or we go elsewhere.

M

mikethetile

As for price match....yes thats the company line but as a business person if its a like for like why not beat the price? the only products I will not match with are the likes on unibond...

I do believe that if you take a look on topps trade website you may be a little surprised as the the price of some lines....

there only thing topps ask of it traders is that you are registered with them so that the trade prices are only given to try trade customers not Joe public
Billy

I am trade registered with topps and have been for years, but it doesnt stop me having problems when I drop into a different branch, as they expect me to re register and use that branch regular before I have access to the back room

in answer to your bal question

I recieved my first formal tile training at their hq in stoke on trent, I went four times in total to do all their courses foc. I was put up in a hotel for two nights each time and one time was treated to go kart racing. giveen a choice I would only ever use bal as I trusted the product and still do. the only issue I have with bal is the price, but it is a first class product but unfortunatly its not the best available

I used mapei once and never went back to bal, I suggest you use mapei before comparing it to bal, you will be pleasantly surprised, its also a nicer product to use, I wont use anything else now

its also avaailable from B&Q and screwfix which is handy even though the prices are higher from these outlets {no trade discount}its still cheaper than bal from topps

trade discount, im opposed to one off customers getting trade , they should be charged full retail . but topps need to learn to distinguish between a tradesman and a retail customer, other outlets manage it

im pleased topps are now looking at the trade buyer again but you have a lot of damage to undo

and yes you would be better off selling mapei and dropping bal but thats down to the buyers not the branch managers

N

Nardini

I am on here
Billy, a word of advice here.

Defending your employer is all very well and good, but the complaint is all about customer service. The only thing you can do is to suggest to your bosses that they might like to do a bit of serious training at branch level to get things right, or your firm will lose even more potential business. Action, not words. Sort out the customer services so that things improve as you aren't going to convince anyone here that your firm is really good in the face of personal experiences to the contrary. Eh?

S

swindonbathroom

Billy ,

Hello I'm Keith and started this thread. I run a bathroom business.

The issue I had was I was sending in my clients to Topps Tiles to buy their tiles. Topps Tiles charged my clients their standard cost and the clients paid for their own tiles direct to Topps. I had no gain from this whatsoever and from my point of view was giving Topps Tiles extra business on a plate , free gratis and for nothing as well !!

I supply everything else for my clients.

One client mistakenly bought all the adhesives as well. No great problem one would have thought. Goods not left the store , bought in error - a straight refund.

Topps made it hard for poor old Mavis to get her refund. (Mavis 70+). I found out later the value of adhesives , trim etc was over £600. No wonder they were reluctant to refund. These items I paid less than £300 for at my supplier !!

Apparently accordingly to Topps Tiles I lost them a £600 sale and for this reason I'm not welcome to any discounts etc in store. They have forgotten the £1,000 s of business I have put their way. They even suggested I should make MY CLIENTS buy their tiles and the ancillaries from Topps Tiles at full cost.

The Swindon store has very poor management. I've been sending in clients for ages. I know them in store. Never did anyone try and offer any discounts to secure the add on business.

I did nothing wrong apart from boost tile sales. Topps got humpy as I refused to pay their charges on adhesives etc. Their attitude was very short sighted. I also hear that Topps Tiles are trying to discredit me in Swindon now too. This because of the internet interest I have generated.

Swindon is awash with tile shops. I send my clients elsewhere and now I even get a thank-you from my new preferred supplier.

C

Curt 2444

I think topps are great and there staff are quite excellant ,im a independent shop not far from them and they actually sent one of their customers into me today who required only 3 m2 of kitchen wall tiles ,maybe they could not be bothered with the young lady because the order was beneath them ,turns out when the lady was getting in her car she has 2 bathrooms that need to be done.
Lesson topps -treat every customer the same whether they are buying 1 tile or 1000m2
she also pointed out to me that they have a 30% sale on but you have to buy their adhesives off them ,her answer i will not be told where i buy my adhesives from .
Your loss is my gain ,Long live independents

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to Anyone Dealing With Topps Tiles?? in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement