Search the forum,

Discuss Topps Tiles -Love it or hate it? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TilersTilingTiles

Recently priced a job in a loft conversion. One bathroom and one ensuit shower room About 50m2 total with porceline floor tiles and ceramic wall tiles. The client asked me to provide a labour only quote and a seperate quote detailing the materials needed and how much I could supply it all for. Apparently topps tiles is doing a discount on materials if you buy your tiles through them too. Anyway it turned out that I could get the materials for just under half of what topps quoted even with the discount.

Topps tiles used to be our main supplier when i was an apprentice and when they used to have their own brands of adhesive were very reasonably priced.

Now some of my clients are paying £50 a bag for Bal rapid set flexi. How do they justify that!

Topps Tiles -Love it or hate it? for more...

Tile Forums @ tilerstilingtiles.co.uk

L

LM Ceramics

im in between with topps there alrite i now use tile clearing house or euxton tiles

G

Grace'sDad

Agreed - it is extortionate what they charge but if you can charge it and they the public will pay it - why not??? I charge as much as I can. I have a family to look after. They have shareholders to look after.

The whole Topps issue is very much dependant each store and it's staff and managers. Preston store is excellent in my opinion for trade and public.
Their hands are tied by Directors decisions a little too much in my opinion but I think the staff there are 1st rate.

C

cornish_crofter

Topps are Ok on the whole. They beat CTD's offer price for a Rubi TS 60 plus recently, and got it in for me in a few days. They also stock a few things that CTD in my area don't, and they have longer opening hours.

I tend to visit CTD when I go into Plymouth on Mondays, but I usually get there just before they close at 5.00. To be fair to the lads and lass at CTD they always give me damn good service, even if my turning up does stop them from going home on time.

As far as product knowledge and service goes I prefer CTD in Plymouth rather than the Topps branch. However Topps do tend to stock a larger range of materials. Topps and CTD will compete on price for a given product.

D

doug boardley

my suppliers are independents,only been into topps once and was appalled at the price and the quality of the service from the sullen youth who served me.I like to pay my accounts as soon as I can,but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise, my suppliers are always considerate and never hassle me if 30 days have lapsed,I wonder how the nationals would be in such a situation?:ninja:

D

Daz

Am I right in saying that Topps share price has plummeted and they are now planning to close at least 50 stores? Not sure what regions, but I believe they are experiencing financial difficulties.

P

Perry

i have just supplied a local tiler with bal adhesive and some tiles less than half the price topps wanted to charge him trade :pete

B

BDS

The topps store in hull that i use are great,i have a laugh with a few of the guys in there. no other BAL stockist that i know of can come anywhere near there prices for BAL to me that is(trade),i pass a good bit of discount on to customer too,so i`m happy/customers happy/topps are happy well maybe not too much but tough...oh and just to add to that topps had some tiles sent to me via a different courier,i was needing tiles delivered there on site on the time and day i stated and i specifically said time and date (was promised by topps and courier),subsequantly they wasn`t so job stopped for day (no fault of topps) it was couriers fault,so friend,labourer and me was of job for a day which wasn`t good so i lost temper a bit with topps and courier(again wasn`t topps fault really)but long and short of it i was reinbursed for loss of earnings (all 3 of us) and a bit on top so a big thumbs up to topps for that.

Reply to Topps Tiles -Love it or hate it? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen