Search the forum,

Discuss Tollerances/out out plumb walls etc in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Guitardedleon

Generally what is acceptable tolerances for walls when preparing to tile?For instance my Bathroom in a house we are renovating to move into is very very small at 2.5x2m - x2.4m floor to ceiling.On one of the 2m walls under a window the wall has a bowl going horizontally - the centre of the wall being about 11mm in compared to the sides. ( I've attached some photos to give an idea of the walls )The rest of the walls are out by 5-7mm here and there but generally pretty plumb and true.so, what would you suggest with regards to prep before we tile to get as good a finish as possible?Pics:

Attachments

• lip.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 113
  • wall 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 109
  • wall 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 114
  • wall3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 103
G

Guitardedleon

Is it render and skim? How old is the property?

Property is approx 60 years old
prefab construction , poured concrete.
then hard-wall with unbelievable amounts of plaster. being ex council the plasterers have literally skimmed around the bath and toilet more than once, literally sinking them into the walls - same goes for skirting boards being behind the plaster level! absolutely shocking state

I dread to think what I am going to find when I rip it all out!

as a side note: my posts don't paragraph or separate the way I type them in, any ideas as to why?
else it just appears as a wall of text

W

White Room

Property is approx 60 years old
prefab construction , poured concrete.
then hard-wall with unbelievable amounts of plaster. being ex council the plasterers have literally skimmed around the bath and toilet more than once, literally sinking them into the walls - same goes for skirting boards being behind the plaster level! absolutely shocking state

I dread to think what I am going to find when I rip it all out!

as a side note: my posts don't paragraph or separate the way I type them in, any ideas as to why?
else it just appears as a wall of text

Has the walls been redone since the place was built...

Reply to Tollerances/out out plumb walls etc in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen