Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Go for larger style brick tile and it will help avoid that slither at the top and probably having to start of a half tile, if it has to be wickes replacement tiles they have 300x200 & 400x150 available

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if they're brick fashion you have the old middle of the tile being thicker than the end so against a tile trim it looks terrible unless youve set it out to finish all external corners on 1/4 and 3/4 of the tile. So very limited setting out options width wise.

Thats a pain.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Metros look smart, but they are usually cheap , bent and sizey , I’ve just done 60m2 of them, bit bigger, 30x10cm, Johnson’s very own wicks shi it , bent , curled in at corners and sizey , they can run off a mountain side for all I care :)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Metros look smart, but they are usually cheap , bent and sizey , I’ve just done 60m2 of them, bit bigger, 30x10cm, Johnson’s very own wicks shi it , bent , curled in at corners and sizey , they can run off a mountain side for all I care :)
What grout did you use ??....:)

Reaction score
Setting out is all to ****. Most good tilers would plan it so no small slithers are evident. Occasionally this cannot be avoided if you have large areas with lots of undulating levels to take into account. However, i haven't had a job in the last 2 decades where i had small slithers like this. Personally i would have gone 30% cuts on the bath and this would have resulted in an acceptable, but not perfect solution. I get many baths that are not straight anyway, and have to cut the row above bath to suit.
BTW, i used to tile for fitters from wickes and always the standard is awful. Also no decent tiler would work for the rates that wickes allow for. When i was doing kitchens, they allowed £25-£30 per metre on 4 metre splashes!
How can we as tilers do a quality job on those rates? Unless of course i am ridiculously slow.....

(A big hi to all the tilers on this forum!)
Best wishes
James

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Glad you got a good result.
I did this one the other day. Set out with 2mm spacers (my 1st choice for metros) but would have ended up with raking slithers disappearing to nothing at the ceiling - exactly like what you've been left with.
Lost 16mm at the top by swapping to a 3mm spacer.
It's not rocket science. Nice to see a customer taking no crap!

IMG_0398.JPG

Chelly

TF
Reaction score
Glad you got a good result.
I did this one the other day. Set out with 2mm spacers (my 1st choice for metros) but would have ended up with raking slithers disappearing to nothing at the ceiling - exactly like what you've been left with.
Lost 16mm at the top by swapping to a 3mm spacer.
It's not rocket science. Nice to see a customer taking no crap!

View attachment 109078
Looks great! Unfortunately they are now playing silly buggers for the amount they will refund. Just out of interest, how much would you charge for removal of 6sqm of tiles and installing new ones?

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen