Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you all now mate. I did some long hours June / July - confused a load of threads and people. They always say it's counter productive to thrash hours at work eh

@Paul C. could do with studying it.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Yep it was me. Entered into June's JOTM.

August 2015 jotm

@Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin - Rough concrete Base, with 100mm insulation, over laid with 22mm green chipboard T&G. That Was how mine was made up. No glue, no fixings.

That is the same job I mentioned in another thread @Dan where B&Q had pooped up the very expensive kitchen install.
It's been down about two months now and still all good. I was there Today dropping gear off. New fitters were there literally ripping out the kitchen.
That's my fun job for this week. Filling in the blanks so they can install the kitchen on top and at the correct height!
ok you put me down for asking how he would deal with this .deflextion i may know a thing or two

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ok you point out all the mistakes .what was your recomendaions to put it right
Ray, a bit of a long story involving a lady I did a quote for tiling her porch. She did not accept my advice or quote, but opted to employ the decorator to tile the floor. She had me back again to quote for her new conservatory, but told me not to look at the porch floor because she is not happy with it (dodgy grout lines and dodgy cuts).

I measured the conservatory at 11sqm and asked what was going down on top of the concrete. She told me about this special UFH and insulation, 9mm ply and chipboard. I advised her that insulation boards with standard wired UFH with SLC was a cheaper and better solution. I told her if she went ahead with what was being planned then I would not tile it. I even rang the manufacturer of the UFH and they told me it is not designed for ceramic or porcelain tiles.

She also insisted it was only 9sqm.

She went ahead with the installation and called me back because she could not get a tiler to tile it. I bounced up and down on the floor and said that it can't be tiled.

By now I have spent at least a day visiting her 3 times, talking to her floor layer, talking the the tech team for UFH, looking on the internet (inc. Tilersforums), ringing the conservatory people, ringing the customer and emailing the customer with findings and info. Have I been paid for my time? No.

I then get another email from her pleading with me to tile it because her furniture will soon be delivered. I did not reply

The conservatory installers don't want to help her because they now have all her money. She is asking me what to do, but I have already given her loads of advice. The only advice now is to go with amtico or laminate......not ideal in a conservatory.

T

Tile Shop

ok for the simple among us what do you mean by floating floor. ie chip board on joist? floors at sea ?floors on the ceiling ?

My understanding is you either have insulation of some kind (like polystirene). Or thin air and a few support joists to raise the height above another substate (which chances are would be better to tile onto, as from what i've had customers tell me in the past is that its concrete). Ultimately though, the tongue and groove chipboad or ply they use to cover over isn't screwed down. Just loose laid with no fixings.

If i've got that wrong, please can someone correct me as this may be turning into a greyer area that i realised. As you can imagine, i don't get as much experience at this as some of you who go out and actually see it.

R

@Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin I might be getting confused here, but I wasn't putting you down for asking, if that's what you ment.
I was just answering your question.
i already new your your answer .so that was never in question .what was in question was .you cant tile this so whats your answer .dont tell me what you cant do tell me what you can do .it was not asked of you

J

Just Rizzle

floating floors was the reason I started to use karndean bends and flexes no problem.
ads an extra string to my bow and I don't have all my eggs in one basket .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ray, a bit of a long story involving a lady I did a quote for tiling her porch. She did not accept my advice or quote, but opted to employ the decorator to tile the floor. She had me back again to quote for her new conservatory, but told me not to look at the porch floor because she is not happy with it (dodgy grout lines and dodgy cuts).

I measured the conservatory at 11sqm and asked what was going down on top of the concrete. She told me about this special UFH and insulation, 9mm ply and chipboard. I advised her that insulation boards with standard wired UFH with SLC was a cheaper and better solution. I told her if she went ahead with what was being planned then I would not tile it. I even rang the manufacturer of the UFH and they told me it is not designed for ceramic or porcelain tiles.

She went ahead with the installation and called me back because she could not get a tiler to tile it. I bounced up and down on the floor and said that it can't be tiled.

By now I have spent at least a day visiting her 3 times, talking to her floor layer, talking the the tech team for UFH, looking on the internet (inc. Tilersforums), ringing the conservatory people, ringing the customer and emailing the customer with findings and info. Have I been paid for my time? No.

I then get another email from her pleading with me to tile it because her furniture will soon be delivered. I did not reply

The conservatory installers don't want to help her because they now have all her money. She is asking me what to do, but I have already given her loads of advice. The only advice now is to go with amtico or laminate......not ideal in a conservatory.
You can't help them all Sean. Block and delete the silly sod. She will never learn.

Just been reading your year in the life of a new tiler thread. Christ that's going back a bit now eh?

You should add to it at some point. 7 years in the life of a new tiler.

R

ok ready to be shot down get rid of all layers above conarete. screed floor up with sand and cement then over lay with 6 mm warm up boards or simalar then lay ufh self level then tile.no movement no problem.1oomm board will give no more insalion on screed than 6mm boards

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ok ready to be shot down get rid of all layers above conarete. screed floor up with sand and cement then over lay with 6 mm warm up boards or simalar then lay ufh self level then tile.no movement no problem.1oomm board will give no more insalion on screed than 6mm boards
That's actually what I'd have said. Get rid of the lot and screed it.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
FLOATING FLOORS

One solution would be to overboard the existing plywood, with a suitable cement based backer board of the recommended thickness from the manufacturer. These boards would be cross bonded and secured using screw fixings to ensure rigidity

This is exactly what I did. Glued, and screwed with 77 screws per board.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks