Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over Electric heat mats in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTS

Hi,

I have a job to do tomorrow were the 1st tiler has been sacked as he laid the heat mats wrong and they now won't work. Apparently he over lapped the mats and this causes it to fail. Any hints from you guys who are old pros at laying these mats?

P

protilers

the first thing you do when laying heat mats is check that the mats have continuity (they can warm up) ,you can do this with an multimeter or put on a plug!!!!!!

the next thing you do is ensure that the thermostat (inc. sensor) is comptable with the mat (i.e from the same brand or equivilent...this can also stop the mats heating up!!!!!!!!!

when you go to lay the mat/s ensure that there is a minimum of 10cm around all obsticales, i.e island units, toilets, pedistals etc. also stay 10cm away from the skirtings........
never let the mats overlap and never buy them too big and leave a loose piece of mat under the bath/cupboards etc. (dangerous fire hazard!!!!!).

then insert the sensor wire in between the coil of heat wire (dont forget or it either wont come on or wont turn off in the latter instance it will also be on full heat......feelin hot hot hot..........sorry......could not help it!!!!

once this is complete test the mats again for continuity......if you have broke it in install.....heres where you find out before it costs you thousands.......

p.s you are not allowed to make the final connection to the mains unless you are a fully qualified electrician..........

you can see a diary of an install on my website.....hope this helps!!!!

M

mc497

Hi MTS,
I put down 52msq udertile heating, and tiled over last summer.
I really couldn't add anything to what protilers has already said.
Just take your time and there's nothing over complicated about this really.
Be careful not to nick any wires when spreading the ady, and as protilers says,
CHECK FOR ANY RESISTANCE before its to late.
By the way, are you going to tile straight over the mats or are you putting down self levelling..? Everyone seems to have a preference and does it a different way.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I tend to apply a latex leveller over the mats/wires and this gives a flatter surface to tile to and protects the wires from damage. Also makes it easier to get a solid bed of adhesive............
Check also with the mat manufacture for how long you leave the installation once tiled before turning the system on.....

Reply to Tiling over Electric heat mats in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen