Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto a bitumin floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jezza

I am about to tile my kitchen floor&nbsp;which has a bitumin covering using porcelain tiles. The bitumin is in very good condition, clean &amp; dry.<br><br>I've been able to learn from advice given in previous threads rightly or wrongly that bitumin can be very adhesive&nbsp;resistant to cement based adhesives and that I need a flexible porcelain tile adhesive. Is this correct?<br><br>Secondly the floor needs a little self leveling compound in one small area, again does this need to be a latex/flexible compound?<br><br>And thirdly, with the bitumin being in good condition do I need to apply any sort of primer/sealer to the floor before I start any work on it?<br><br>Would be grateful of any advice thanks.<br><br>

S

Spud

if it were my job i would latex over the whole area using ardex na levelling compound then tile it with a spf adhesive

S

swanman

Hi

You cant tile onto bitumin adhesive dont stick

What i do is laytex it first . but prime floor first 2 COATS SHOULD BE OKAY

J

Jezza

Thanks for the responses. So it appears the bitumin needs some sort of sealer to help it with adhesion?

J

Jezza

Can anyone please recommend a suitable primer/sealer I can use to treat the Bitumen with first?

D

destroyer2813

Evening chaps come over from the plumbing forum, doing the kitchen up next month and gonna tile the floor we have the old bitumin on the floor under the old stuck down floor tiles , ive had two opinions on what route to cover it 1 was use a Mapei product that is like a resin glue if i remember right then stick ditra over the top or another was latex over it with stop gap 114 . Which of theose two would you guys recommened or any other opions

Thanks Alex

R

Rookery

Is the stuff hard, black, almost shiney? If so its most likely to be mastic asphalt. I'd thoroughly clean the floor, let dry and then fix with Rapidset or Rapidset flex.

Reply to Tiling onto a bitumin floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen