Discuss Tiler says my plan is impossible becasue of cut edges in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Tilers turned up this morning, I explained the plan, and they said it's impossible. Something about cut edges.

I have a combination of quartz and terrazzo tiles which I understand have to be cut using something called "wet saw" (whereas porcelain tiles can simply be snapped)?

I said: suppose you start in the middle of the kitchen and work to the door, and start in the middle of the hall and work to the door, then what happens when you meet. And the answer was that you have to tile continuously from the kitchen out into the hall which will mean that the tiles in the hall are not centred which will look ridiculous.

Help! What are the options/possibilities?

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
Tilers turned up this morning, I explained the plan, and they said it's impossible. Something about cut edges.

I have a combination of quartz and terrazzo tiles which I understand have to be cut using something called "wet saw" (whereas porcelain tiles can simply be snapped)?

I said: suppose you start in the middle of the kitchen and work to the door, and start in the middle of the hall and work to the door, then what happens when you meet. And the answer was that you have to tile continuously from the kitchen out into the hall which will mean that the tiles in the hall are not centred which will look ridiculous.

Help! What are the options/possibilities?
send us a plan of the ground floor with sizes and tile sizes and we will try to set it out for you with options

Reaction score
Hi there, there is a method too tiling you want too go row by row too keep it square too what you’ve squared off you can’t just start in one place then start in another you just don’t tile like that. Usually you put as many full ones in as possible then do the cuts. If your tiling a kitchen and hallway I usually get a 2 rows going from the kitchen through the hallway so you know it’s straight then come off that. I don’t know your layout so I don’t know what’s best before looking at the floor plan.

Reaction score
can you provide more info as you said you have 2 different materials if they aren’t the exact same size obviously it’s not gonna line and and will have too tile each section as 2 different floors. Are you mixing them together or having 2 different tiles in each section ?. Natural stone has too be wet cut like you said above so takes longer all I can say is trust your tiler or do you have doubts about them otherwise you wouldn’t be coming on here?. The best tilers know what they are doing and don’t leave customers with questions or doubts about their methods or quality of work. If you don’t trust their ability don’t let them start at all and find someone who gives you piece of mind.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Commenting to follow post.

This isn't impossible at all. in fact, I'd suggest it's easier to achieve because of using a natural product. Would just be more labour intensive.

Reply to Tiler says my plan is impossible becasue of cut edges in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks