Search the forum,

Discuss So forget about cement boards and foam boards and just tile direct onto wood? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Blunt Tool

CC4765DD-0FE2-4F81-B0D2-A99C79F0E88B.jpeg Link

J

J Sid

but what room?

have you ever tried getting a builder to seal backs and sides before he fixes them ?

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The builders will not do much for a tiler, you should know that by now. You would have to take that control yourself, but the priming of the back and side of a ply-board was mainly when the boards were exposed to moisture going onto a groung floor jiosted floor where there was earth below it without a DPM. These floors are becoming less as most new builds are a solid screed and all housing must have a DPM installed.

T

Time's Ran Out

I assume as tiling onto plywood has been vetoed since this video was shown it no longer applies.
Or is it just wall tiling on to prepared plywood substrate.
Either way I wouldn’t !

W

Waluigi

Flooring Grade Class 3 ply-wood or Hansons SP 101 ply-wood fixed at 150mm centers, Tilemaster Primeplus, Tilemaster S1 adhesive. Done and guaranteed.

Which thickness ply do you use for testing. I have only ever seen SP101 in 6 and 9mm.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Best practice will always be Backer-board first. But the correct ply-board type can still be tiled. BS5385 changed last year. I ask why a substrate that the industry tiled to for twenty years that I know of and probably longer is now now longer suitable? What as changed in 6 months? In my role has technical support we go out to failure on ply-board but mostly they are of the incorrect type and not suitable for tiling from the start. The soft flooring industry use thousands of ply-board sheets every day and pour thousands of gallons of water based smoothing compounds over them and we get zero phone calls with debonding issues. Why can their industry be able to acheive this when the tiling industry acording to BS5385 need to be protected from this "not suitable" substrate. Nobody from BS contacted Tilemaster for our input has to whether Tilemasters adhesives are suitable and have been since Tilemaster developed them, and will continue to be suitable for fixing tiles to suitable ply-boards.

Reply to So forget about cement boards and foam boards and just tile direct onto wood? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen