Search the forum,

Discuss Scruffy car = bad image? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

colin178

Hi

Think im going to take the plunge and start advertising in the new year. I've been thinking about it for a few months to be honest, been doing jobs for friends and family for past few years.

My question is will not having a van affect my chances of getting work?

I cant afford to buy a van and am working out of the back of my N reg vw golf which to be honest is in a bit of a sorry state.

From a customers point of view if a proffesional tradesman turned up to do a quote/estimate in a clapped out car i would instantly think cowboy!

What do you guys think?

Col

J

jay

tend to agree if you intend charging like a pro you may have to look like one first impressions and all doesnt have to be a rolls just decent:8:

P

peckers

I agree with what jay has said, as long as it is clean and presentable it doesent have to be brand new! I also find that you to have to be clean and presentable when you meet the clients to view the job to be done for the first time!(not in your work clothes) and as long as you present yourself as being proffesional at what you do then you should be ok.
I used to have a transit an old one that was rather rusty around the edges, i applied to do a tiling contract for an up market company and they turned me down because my transit wasnt respectable enough for them! so i had the rust treated and the bottom of it resprayed! it transformed the looks of it, and at a later date they then gave me the contract! I have never had a new vehicle but i do keep it clean and washed etc,

A

arthurdaley

Not sure if l agree, lf i was the customer i would be more concerned about your appearance and the way you conducted yourself, if your cleanly dressed and shaven and well mannered this would impress me more than the car you turned up in.

The last thing you want to do is put yourself under financial pressure,
been there done that. lm just a little bit older wiser and uglier now.

G

garretridge

even if you could buy a cheap van i bought a renualt kangoo £900 got it valeted and spent £140 on sign writing you dont need a new one it really does make a difference i have had loads of work through having the van then you could upgrade as i did could you borrow money from your parents to get you started?:thumbsup:

C

colin178

even if you could buy a cheap van i bought a renualt kangoo £900 got it valeted and spent £140 on sign writing you dont need a new one it really does make a difference i have had loads of work through having the van then you could upgrade as i did could you borrow money from your parents to get you started?:thumbsup:

unfortunately not mate my dad is recently retired so cant steal his pension off him, lol.:lol:

Suppose i'll have to use the mrs' ford focus (i'm sure she wont mind) until i can afford a clean cheap van.:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Personal appearance and a friendly disposition are more important than whats parked outside the house. Due to a stict budget after starting up a few years ago I have just bought my first van (best thing I've done I admit) No point in having a van if you can't afford to live if the work doesn't come in!

G

garretridge

unfortunately not mate my dad is recently retired so cant steal his pension off him, lol.:lol:

Suppose i'll have to use the mrs' ford focus (i'm sure she wont mind) until i can afford a clean cheap van.:thumbsup:

ok mate if you really cant at the minute then your next best bet is to get your logo put on polo shirts -jumpers and a jacket. really has a big impact were ever you go i get work from wearing them in b&q or local tile shop people will think your more professional and will approach you for your apinion and get business cards printed to hand out whe they ask it works and wont cost more than about a £150 quid to do all this hope this helps!:thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
isnt the governments scrappage scheme still active? not sure how it works but is it not the case you trade your old banger in and get 2 grand off next purchase?

Reply to Scruffy car = bad image? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen