Search the forum,

Discuss Retiling existing flooring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello Team,

We moved into our current house a couple of years ago. The tiles were laid out throughout the floor with wet underfloor heating (approx 100sqm)...not sure how long before we bought the house. Over the last 2 years, we have seen grout come out for many of the tiles as well as the tile themselves either coming loose or cracking. As such we are looking to have the tiles replaced.

We have few tilers come over and say that laying an anti-crack decoupling membrane and laying the new tiles over it will solve the issue. One of them did mention that the underfloor hating might have been switched on too high too soon once the tiles were laid initially and probably that is the reason the tiles are coming loose. None of them suggested to remove the cement boards laid below and redo the job?

So my question now is whether anti crack mat is all that is required? Or if there a need to remove the cement boards and revisit the screed?

Thank for all your help in advance.

Thank you.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What is the make up of the floor? floorboards overlaid with cement board??

How is the wet UFH fitted?

Reaction score

I wish could provide that info...Dont know as the floor not opened up yet.

Where I might be wrong is there arent any cement boards but just floorboards

Reaction score

Also, one of the tiler said to leave the previous adhesive as it is as tiles would come off clean...and then just lay anti crack and tile over.

Reaction score
You need to see what is underneath those tiles first before we can advise.
Probably these pictures can help

Attachments

• 20210201_191644.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210201_191652.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 25

Reply to Retiling existing flooring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Hi I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen. We were going...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen