Search the forum,

Discuss Removing efflorescence in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TilingLogistics

This is a very interesting post. I am going to compose an answer for this one when i get a minute this PM

Kev

D

DHTiling

What???
You know the amount of efflorescence calls we get. I'd like a nice rounded concise explanation.

How about a nice bit of input from your good self danny on the removal of efflorescence.......:grin: ...if you gets so many calls ..what do you advise peeps to do.?.....:thumbsup:

T

TilingLogistics

What???
You know the amount of efflorescence calls we get. I'd like a nice rounded concise explanation.

Danny,

I thought you were one of the leading experts in this field? After all in the last debate on this subject I thought you were the man who had treated 2000M2 of various substrates for efflorescence?

Why therefore do you want my concise explanation?

Kevin

W

wetdec

How about a nice bit of input from your good self danny on the removal of efflorescence.......:grin: ...if you gets so many calls ..what do you advise peeps to do.?.....:thumbsup:

Well branty go for it nothing to loose m8 when TLogistics became elite we all became equal again..........step up :lol:

tiler

G

GazTech

From products tested in the field, we have found the removal of efflorescence on acid sensative tiles eg; marble or limestone, A q u a m i x Eff-Ex was effective. With ceramics and porcelains Lithofin Builders' Clean was effective. I carry both products in the van for these types of calls......Gaz

B

Branty

Danny,

I thought you were one of the leading experts in this field? After all in the last debate on this subject I thought you were the man who had treated 2000M2 of various substrates for efflorescence?

Why therefore do you want my concise explanation?

Kevin
You've got me mixed up with someone else. I've never treated effloresence. I didn't know there was such a problem with it till I joined BAL.
----
If it is effloresence, which is not always clear from the intial call, samples are taken of the grout, and sent for analysis.
If the lab tests confirm it's effloresence, then the customer gets a remidial spec from our techincal department. A great service I'm sure you'd agree.
Here's some tips we give for removing it.
Remember, you did ask.

DESCRIPTION

Efflorescence is a crystalline or powdery deposit which forms on the surface of cementitious products. These salts can precipitate out into the surface of bricks, tiles, mortars and grouts. These deposits are chemical compounds which occur when water soluble salts forms on the surface, normally carbonates, sulphates or chlorides of calcium, sodium and potassium. In Portland cements, the most common form is calcium carbonate.

This is a phenomenon which affects the whole of the building industry. In ceramic tile installations, efflorescence takes the form of a whitish deposit which often manifests itself on the surface of the grout lines, most frequently in flooring applications. Visually this will often take the form of a surface stain discolouring the pigmented floor grout during the setting or drying out period, creating light and dark ‘patchy joints’.

In itself efflorescence is not damaging to the grout and the effect is purely aesthetic. Efflorescence is usually encountered in new or recent constructions and is often more likely to appear at certain times of the year in the UK i.e. during colder temperatures.

CAUSE

For salts to form there must be the presence of the three following elements.

• Soluble salts present in the substrate or cement.
  • Water must be present.
  • Evaporation or hydrostatic pressure, or other force to cause the water and minerals to the surface.

The amount of efflorescence that occurs is related to factors such as:-

· The amount of water present i.e.

- Adding too much water to the grout during mixing.
- Over washing the grout joints with water during the cleaning off process.

· The amount of available soluble salts (normally calcium). and
· Drying times (which are extended in cooler temperatures).

Note: The colder the air temperature, the colder the backgrounds and bases. For any construction material containing cement, the rate of cement hydration and the rate at which residual moisture is lost will be decreased (slowed down), the colder the site temperatures, particularly at temperatures below 10°C. Please also note that BS 5385-4 does not recommended tiling below 5°C.

The longer the moisture is present, the greater the chance of salts dissolving in it and permeating to the surface as the mortar and grout dries out. This is particularly prevalent in any system which contains grey Portland cement.

PREVENTION

To prevent efflorescence from forming you need to eliminate as much as possible any of the above elements.

a) In ground bearing installations, it must be ensured that where possible a suitable vapour barrier is positioned on the sub-floor in the form of a surface DPM (damp proof membrane) which is compatible with the adhesive.

b) There is no moisture trapped within cavities or the sub-floor allowing salts to migrate from the background. The drying time of the grout joints is not extended by covering with polythene or similar material.

c) There is no excessive water being added to the grout which will cause the migration of natural salts within the cement to the grout surface.

BRITISH STANDARDS

BRITISH STANDARD BS 5385 : Part 3 : 2007, the code of practice for the Design and installation of internal and external ceramic and mosaic floor tiling in normal conditions states in Section 11. Cleaning and maintenance

11.3 Efflorescence
“Efflorescence is aggravated by excessively damp conditions following installation or prolonged delay in drying out and may be persistent if it is due to rising moisture where damp-resisting construction (see 6.5.2) is inadequate. The deposit should disappear with washing but may reappear after drying; it should diminish with progressive washing and the most effective treatment is to increase the frequency of washing until the deposit ceases.

Persistent deposits may be treated with appropriate proprietary acidic cleaners, but in such cases the floor should be wetted and the free water removed before the application of the cleaning agent. It is important that this treatment is followed immediately by thorough rinsing with clean water.”

REMOVAL

Efflorescence can normally be removed by washing down with clean potable water. This may need to be repeated where the deposits are light to medium.

Where the salt deposits are heavy they may be removed by the application of a suitable acidic based cleaner such as *Lithofin Builders’ Clean :-
· Pre-wet grout surface with water
· The product can be diluted up to 10:1 with water, however dependant upon how heavy the deposits are, use at a stronger concentration or undiluted, if required.
· Apply with a stiff bristle brush (scrubbing brush) or emulsifying pad and distribute immediately.
· Leave on the surface for up to 10 minutes, but do not allow to dry.
· Work cleaner into grout surface again.
· Wash off with plenty of clean potable water.
· Repeat where necessary.

*NB do not use on polished and honed limestone, marble tiles, concrete stone, terrazzo and hard stone not resistant to acid. Use a suitable non-acidic cleaner i.e. ******* Eff-Ex or equivalent Lithofin product(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Thanks for the input Danny....spot on advice there..........nice long reply just as we like them...........
:yes:

Reply to Removing efflorescence in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen