Search the forum,

Discuss Question on marking and cutting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask the pro tilers on here how you measure and mark up your tiles.

I find once I've transfered the pencil marks onto the tile I have to run a strip of brown packing tape against the marks so I have something visible to cut against. :lol:

I can't see any of you guys doing that but if I just use pencil it washes off mid cut. I would love to see how quickly you guys can mark and cut a tile. I've ordered a couple of tile pencils from Trade Tiler (along with other goodies!) so I'll try those out.

I work mainly with ceramic and porcelain (80% ceramic) in my bathrooms not much large format.

I use the bulky wet cutter for everything but should I buy a decent manual cutter? Do you guys just use the wet cutter for thick tiles and corner cuts etc.

I do find I have to keep buying tape measures though as the markings wear out. :incazzato:

D

david campbell

either chinagraph or ikea pencils,if yourlucky enough to find an edge that runs true then set up the guide rail on either cutter

S

SandyFloor

A decent manual cutter is what you want IMO. Less mess, noise, it's in the work area and it's quicker. You can also use it to score the tile when you need to do saw cuts which will help reduce chipping.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I do have a cheap diy manual cutter but stopped using it, seemed a bit sloppy. It didn't break the tilies cleanly, I wouls score a few timesand the pull the lever down to break and it would just break the tile where I didn't want it.

I've been looking at proper manual cutters on Trade Tiler, Whats sort of money do I need to spend?

Any recommendations baring in mind I'm only a plumber/bathroom fitter eg/not everyday use. Having said that I do a lot of bathrooms and tiling and boy do I need to save time on the tiling.

F

faithhealer

Deffo need a manual cutter Bob, my Rubi ts50 has dealt with everything I have needed in a bathroom, will knock hours off your jobs

S

SandyFloor

My first was a Rubi TS40 and it still gets used a lot but I find it's size capacity lacking occasionally these days. So I would go for the TS50 just for the larger capacity. Great cutter and easy to use.

It will pay for itself in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Pencil will wash off, forget the tape and wet cutter for all cuts, invest in a decent dry cutter such as the Rubi TS50 it will handle all your ceramics and porcelain with ease, it will save time which in turn makes you money, the Trade tiler pencils are good but the standard ones that can be sharpened with a normal sharpener will wash off as well, go for the china markers, they will be visible for the duration of the cut but will wipe off afterwards.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
have a look on ebay allways plenty of rubi dry cutters for sale.

must be because peeps are selling them to buy a sigma :smilewinkgrin:

T

tfs

I use a big clinker 600mm and a rubi tx 700.

I can honestly say that for 99% of jobs the big clinker is adequate. Great value for money (get at topps as screwfix put the price up). I have cut 30x60 porcelain, 10x10 ceramics and even individual little glass and stone peices of mosaic with my big clinker, it is a big but very versatile and reliable tool.

60x60 poreclain then, its a Rubi tx 700 minimum in my opinion. I have used a rubi ts 60plus on 60x60 tiles and it more often than not it leaves a small tail on your tile (at the opposite end of the breaker)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Question on marking and cutting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen