Search the forum,

Discuss Question for Ajax123 on anhydrite screed. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
ajax i have been told to use a anhydrate primer and benferflex c2 on a screed what do you think

I am assuming it is an anhydrite screed ..... sorry:thumbsup:

Firstly there is no such thing as an "anhydrite primer". There are only primers for use on anhydrite and these can be acrylic, epoxy or polyurethane. Some people have used SBR but with mixed success. Neoprene is not really suitable in my opinion. Acrylic presents the most risk and I have seen many failures on these types of primers but some are better than others. BAL and Ultra do some good ones.

My guess is that who ever you are talking to are trying to sell you a standard acrylic primer for use on anhydrite. BEWARE IMO.

If you are looking to use Benfer I would think you would be better with Befergyps as it is specifically forulated for these screeds.

Benferflex is cement based so the issue is basically one of non compatibility. Cement and anhydrite do not stick together. If you use an acrylic primer you still have this risk if there is any moisture present and especially on underfloor heating. If everything is perfect there should not be a problem. When you find the perfect building site let me know.

If you want to use a cement based adhesive I would suggest you think about a much more robust system like a water dispersed epoxy primer such as Laybond Screedmaster epoxy, tremco CS epoxy or Isoseal from Flowcrete. All of these have been specifically developed for use on anhydrite screeds. They are generally not much more pricey than acrylics and are much more effective against the migration of sulphates.

Alternatively a gypsum based addy might be of use.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh OK Dave. Did I give an answer on that one or not.......think I going a bit senile today.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeeeey! my very own thread.....:thumbsup:

Now is tat a good thing or a bad one.........:lol:

D

Dumbo

alan with the benfergyp do they still recommend removing laitence off screed and priming ?

ted

Reply to Question for Ajax123 on anhydrite screed. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen