Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain wall tiling - quick help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richmondhall

Hi

Done floor, now for the walls.

Tiling 600x300 porcelains onto mixture of sand\cement mortor and tilebacking board(overboarded)

Using bagged flexi adhesive

Questions:-

1. What size notched trowl is best for these size tiles?
2. Should I be 'back buttering' the tiles as well as trowling the wall, and if so is that simply a thin flat coatuing of adhesive?
3. Finally, when cutting (using a wet cutter) the edges splinter, has a new blade, not bad and for most part grout can cover, but is this normal please?

Just want to make sure these things stick and stay stuck - and not fall off onto my lovely tiled floor!!

Many thanks in advance

M

marty the tiler

hi 12mm 15mm trowel is enough hope walls are straight trowel walls as well as tile if walls arent straight cutting buy a good porcelain blade and they should not splinter let the blade do the cutting dont try and hurry thats when the blade gets hot cheers:thumbsup:

A

ab.tiling

1. depends on how flat the wall is, but if there is a bow on the wall it changes, it's hard to say without seeing the wall really,
maybe 8-10mm, or just go with marty 12-15mm

2. if the back of the tile is flat, no need "buttering" the tile, but if it has "grooves" it's most likely ment to be "buttered"

3. buy a porcelain blade,it minimizes chiping and like and like marty said don't force feed the tile in, also if you need to drill any holes, you'll need
special drillhead/piece for drilling porcelain.

P

paul flight

:welcome: as marty said do get a thin blade and take it slow when cutting . good luck :thumbsup:

S

Scott

I back butter pretty much everything i fit and yes its jut a thin skim with the flat back edge of the trowel :thumbsup:

Good luck with it.

Just a tip, check that the actual tiles isnt bowed by puting a straight edge across the flat front surface. Some of them bow and it makes brick bond a nightmare as no matter how har you try you wont get them perfect!

C

Ceramico tiling

establish what the wall is doing,then start your first course making sure it will be level and flat with last tile at top of wall.(use long level),stick a small piece of tile on top of wall if wall is sloping towards you at top.Then based on the highest point start your first course.follow level and make sure it meets up to last tile(all level and flat),,Place level on previous course and look at area btw bottom of level and wall,and estimate how much addi you need(I tend to just slap it on the tile with a notched trowel but build it up on there if need be.)If it is too much build up addi on wall and allow to dry for a while as too much buttering up allows tiles to move when addi drys

Reply to Porcelain wall tiling - quick help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen