Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BrhTiling

Well, I am sure there must be plenty of information on the forums regarding getting the NVQ in tiling, but I am really struggling to find out where it is!

I have completed a 4-week training course and I am in the middle of setting up my own buisness doing wall & floor tiling self employed....

How on earth do I go about getting an NVQ?

I have read up about CSCS cards and it seems to me that I would need to complete a Health and Safety test and then register for an NVQ which requires on site assessment? -

As someone who hasn't completed any work outside of family/friends yet and is intending on doing mainly domestic work; how do I get a 'on site' job where I can be tested?

My head is spining a bit, I read the TTA/CITB websites and I seem to go around in circles, where is the 'IDIOTS GUIDE'?!!

Can any of you guys advice on costs for gettnig your NVQ and what is exactly involved? As having someone follow me about watching me work would make me very nervous as well.

W

wivers

I have done a bit of digging on this myself mate. Trust me it is not easy to get into. It took me about 2 weeks just to get to speak to the right person!.
Basically from what i gather there is 2 ways of getting it. ! you go to college and do it from scratch. 2 you tell them you've been in the game longer than 2 years and they send out an onsite assesor to view your work etc and then go through a bit of paper work side of things.

When i finally got to talk to someone they asked if i had more than 5 gcse grades from school. As i left school over 12 years ago i found it hard to recal exactly how many i have but i knew it probably wasnt that many due to the fact i was hardly ever there :)

Anyway if you dont have moe than 5 gcse's you can basically apply to get on the train to gain scheme to get your NVQ which is free and funded by the government i belive, if not you will have to pay around £700 to get it through an assessor. Seem's a bit unfare to me, getting punished for being clever at school, but thats the wqay it is.

Hope this helps a bit, but i'm still pretty much in the dark still as they guy said he would call me back and that was over 2 weeks ago now!

B

BrhTiling

Did you find anything out about CSCS?

I was going to phone up and apply for a CSCS card via Skills direct, the website (How do I get a card? ) basically says you need to do a health and safety test and register for an NVQ in order to get your experienced worker or trainee cards. But since I ccan't find out what an NVQ involves I don't know what to do.

Seems like a load of stupid pen-pushing &time wasting non-sense to me! -

I mean I can't get an CSCS card until I have my NVQ and I can't get the NVQ until I have experience and I can't get experience easily without any qualifications (IE: the NVQ).

I'm 21 years old, had health problems and been on the sick for a while now and nobody wants to help fund any training (been to jobcentre, connections, LSC,).

Ok, rant over.... I have less than 5 gcse's so maybe I can get some kind of help paying for it, although I might have to *ahem* gain 2 years of experience rather quickly!

View attachment 86626

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

The awarding body for construction has joined with the TTA to develop a one day practical assessment to help experienced tile fixers obtain NVQ and then CSCS status.
As part of the drive to achieve a fully qaulified workforce by 2010, CITB-CONSRUCTION SKILLS/CITY&GUILDS has developed the experianced worker practical assessment (EWPA) scheme for those with more than five years experiance.
Candidates should then need no more training.
Over five years ago the body developed on-site assessment and training(OSAT) so workers could prove their know-how by directly demonstrating their skills on site over a period of time. The new scheme,sitting alongside OSAT, will prove even more painless for candidates.
EWPA is now available to all workers seeking an NVQ. EWPA involves one day of skills and knowledge assessment at an off site location normally an NVQ centre, although on-site assessments may be possible in the future.
Tile fixers wishing to be assessed must register at an NVQ centre supporting EWPA scheme. fixers are initially assessed for suitability and are allowed to present testimonails,photos and other evidance.
the second session involves appraisel of practical skills. followed by a professional discussion assessing knowledge of the subject.
If unsuccessful, all work can count towards NVQ qualification through the OSAT scheme, which takes 3-6 months but still requires no time off-site or any formal insruction. The OSAT route allowas fixers to focus on areas in which they are not so skilled during the assessment period. what this going to cost has'nt been mentioned but hope this helps.
you can get tempory cscs but need to pass NVQ 2 to get full cscs...

C

ChaseTiling

CHASE TILING ACADEMY LIMITED
C.I.T.B. Accredited Centre No. 5451
Ceramic Wall & Floor Tiling Courses

Dear Yenool

With reference to your query regarding N.V.Q’s, Chase Tiling are accepting registrations for this award. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Margaret Cockayne

Senior Administrator NVQ/ICA Coordinator

B

BrhTiling

Ok, thanks for that, I just have to arrange a time to get up there now, AA says its about a 1hr drive so, might have to be friday.

D

DHTiling

for anybody requiring assessment on cscs/nvq in the north/north east, northumberland collage will help you out . tel: 01670-841200 email: [email protected]
hope this helps. dave...

Reply to NVQ Help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen