Search the forum,

Discuss my dilema re hg impregnator/ lithofin in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

annawil

you may have read my last post re hg impregnator has been applied to my slate floor tiles but has not protacted against stains, i think its olive oil. should i decide to remove the impregnator then lithofin intensive cleaner has been recommended. does anybody have any idea how easy this would be to do? how long would the process take and how will i know if it has been successful? i dont want to put the lithofin slate sealer on top if the there are still traces of the hg impregnator on it. also how long will i have to wait inbetween the cleaner and applying the sealer? should i use hg stain remover first to get out the marks or go straight for the lithofin cleaner? lots of questiions i know, im trying to get my head round this! anna

T

tony TLC

hi anna a question for you is the stain on one tile or more?
if its just 1 get your tiler to replace it and just seal the floor with HGgolv polish its not a high gloss polish but will seal the floor
i have never had to strip a floor so i cant help with that bit
but HG products will do the job for you

ps if its olive oil it could have penetrated the tile quite deeply might be better just to change it as the could be an easier fix for you
hope i have helped a little
tony:coffee: no sugar thx

A

annawil

nope, its about 8 large tiles. ive contacted hg and they advised against their golv polish or stain protector asboth get slippy under foot if you spill any water, whcih can happen in kitchens. ive called them several times and recieved conflicting advice so they are contacting thir technical people. at one point they suggested my tiler should no more about their product than they do!!!ive removed most of the stains with their spot remover but is messy and long process on hands and knees, not somthing you can do every day after dinner!!!

G

GazTech

nope, its about 8 large tiles. ive contacted hg and they advised against their golv polish or stain protector asboth get slippy under foot if you spill any water, whcih can happen in kitchens. ive called them several times and recieved conflicting advice so they are contacting thir technical people. at one point they suggested my tiler should no more about their product than they do!!!ive removed most of the stains with their spot remover but is messy and long process on hands and knees, not somthing you can do every day after dinner!!!
your having a tough time there An.My best advice if needing to strip HG,or remove stains is now youve'e started with Hg it would be a bad idea to use anyone elses product,there could be a bad reaction leading to surface damage if the sealants/solutions are not compatible.In the past I have advised my customers when using HG impregnator,is to strip off the lot with HG extra,and start again with a better product,one that will be permanent.You know my recommendation on the product FILA colour intensifier hope this of help,it could have been worse........It could have happened to me!!!
icon10.gif
sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tony TLC

hi anna if its that bad i ould strip it (not done it )and start from scratch sorry:icon8:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi There, Gaz is correct, do not cross different products, use the HG extra to stip back the old stuff, HG extra is quite strong so make sure you use protective gloves and glassess for splashes in eyes or skin. Use one of the better products on the market for the sealing, Lithofin Slate seal, Fila slate seal, Sealers choice gold are a few.
What you do is apply two coats leaving 1 hour in between coats, then you would grout then apply the final coat after grouting, You must leave at least 6 hours before grouting after the second coat has been done.
Since your tiles are already down and grouted, seal twice leaving the hour between coats

Reply to my dilema re hg impregnator/ lithofin in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen