Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei bad bag or just not like BAL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jgw1

Right here goes,

I came round to finishing off some tiling this evening (DIYer not pro) and opened my box from Trades Direct. The adhesive was Mapei P9, I bought it in May but it has been stored as per the manufacturers instructions.

Anyway, my only previous experience has been with BAL, single part and two part flexibles.

The bad had big rocks of cement in it (2" across in some cases) a bit like the lumps you get in sugar sumetimes (dry to the touch and would break up if crushed). I could not mix it to a smooth consistency and the recommended ratio of cement to water gave a mix that was really thin. BALs spf gave me none of these problems.

I started applying it to the wall but did not trust it so took it off, however I still have enough to finish the job tomorrow.

Does this sound like a bag that has gone off or is this normal for Mapei P9. Should I carry on with the job tomorrow?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
sounds like it got damp to me....

J

jgw1

23/3/09, I stored it indoors in my hall, unopened and in the delivery box. So like I said should be OK. The manufacturers lifetime is 12 months, unopened in a dry place.

J

jgw1

That's why I took it off the wall Brian.

If it was the top course of my bathroom I would perhaps have chanced it, but this is the course around the bath so I need a good adhesion. Annoying though, £40 down the drain.

Trades Direct seem to have stopped selling BAL, which I am more familiar with, so I'll have to lump it and go to Topps tomorrow. Couldn't find an independent BAL stockist online (Kingston, Surrey)

B

brian c

Have you got a trade account?You shouldnt be paying that price trade prices.:yikes:

W

White Room

£40 for one bag.:yikes:

Had the same but mine is stored within a large solid barn inside a smaller store area.

I just crushed the lumps and had no problem

D

Daz

I'm not experienced with P9, but I generally find that Mapei does mix up slightly more moist than other adhesives.

Given the "lumps", I am slightly concerned that the adhesive has become subject to frost or moisture and that will affect the performance.

Top row or lower row of tiles, you really want to be sure that they are adhered correctly so you have made the right choice to "hold fire".

Out of curiosity, what type and size of tile are you fixing and onto what substrate?

If you have any of the original mix that you made up then put it to one side and see if it is rock hard in the morning, that will give you a clue as to whether the adhesive will hold the tiles or not.

Reply to Mapei bad bag or just not like BAL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen