Search the forum,

Discuss london underground tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RockCeramics

A fellow member asked me about LUL work some time back and this is some information that might help you.

Before you can enter a LUL site you need to take a few tests to see if you are competent to work on site
these tests are usually a day long test , the cards you require are as follows
1 CSCS, you probally have this as you are required to have this on any uk site, plus you would need to purchase the card aswell.
2, LUL entry permit this card is a safety induction card this has to be with you at all times ((in some cases you would have to show this to your site person in charge)
you would need to provide 2 passport photos for this.
3, Atkins passport this to is a safety induction card and you swipe on entry to a metronet alliance site . you can get entry & atkins passport here
ΛTKINS Training Centre
80-84 Bondway
Vauxhall
London SW8 1SF
Tel: 0207 121 2100
4 Tube lines also have a safety induction card (i have not had 1 of those) but i was told you can get 1 of these from d&d rail. www.ddrail.com based in essex .

I not sure about the total costing of these but you probally wont be far off £150 this does not include your travel costs as well as your days lost for not working.
When you need to apply for these you have to go through a registered company with LUL , but there are some places you can go through i will look in to this a bit
later for you.
the main tiling companies that work on LUL sites are
1, DMC TILING www.dmccontracts.co.uk based in essex ( they have also bought out Kengate a terrazzo tiling manufactures from simpsons.)
2, W.B. Simpson & Sons [DLMURL="http://www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk/"]www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk[/DLMURL] based in surrey mainly flooring contractors for LUL. granite tiles
3, Famerit uk : www.famerit.co.uk this company is starting in the LUL 4 yrs based in Kent.
these a the main tiling contractors to get you started .

PPE
when on site you need to be aware that all ppe have to be worn at all times ,
gloves,glasses/goggles. hi vis vest (orange) safety boots. hard hat. when cutting they want you to wear goggles, dust mask, ear plugs aswell .
all power tools to be P.A.T tested every 3 months not a year .
Doing the tests is the easy part . because of certain reasons some of the tiling companies rather use Polish / portuguese as they are slightly cheapper to pay so it
can be very frustrating at times to get seen . I havent been on an LUL site for some time so things might have changed.
If there is anything you need pm me and i see what i can do . Hope this info helps you.
Kind regards
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A fellow member asked me about LUL work some time back and this is some information that might help you.

Before you can enter a LUL site you need to take a few tests to see if you are competent to work on site
these tests are usually a day long test , the cards you require are as follows
1 CSCS, you probally have this as you are required to have this on any uk site, plus you would need to purchase the card aswell.
2, LUL entry permit this card is a safety induction card this has to be with you at all times ((in some cases you would have to show this to your site person in charge)
you would need to provide 2 passport photos for this.
3, Atkins passport this to is a safety induction card and you swipe on entry to a metronet alliance site . you can get entry & atkins passport here
ΛTKINS Training Centre
80-84 Bondway
Vauxhall
London SW8 1SF
Tel: 0207 121 2100
4 Tube lines also have a safety induction card (i have not had 1 of those) but i was told you can get 1 of these from d&d rail. www.ddrail.com based in essex .

I not sure about the total costing of these but you probally wont be far off £150 this does not include your travel costs as well as your days lost for not working.
When you need to apply for these you have to go through a registered company with LUL , but there are some places you can go through i will look in to this a bit
later for you.
the main tiling companies that work on LUL sites are
1, DMC TILING www.dmccontracts.co.uk based in essex ( they have also bought out Kengate a terrazzo tiling manufactures from simpsons.)
2, W.B. Simpson & Sons [DLMURL="http://www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk/"]www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk[/DLMURL] based in surrey mainly flooring contractors for LUL. granite tiles
3, Famerit uk : www.famerit.co.uk this company is starting in the LUL 4 yrs based in Kent.
these a the main tiling contractors to get you started .

PPE
when on site you need to be aware that all ppe have to be worn at all times ,
gloves,glasses/goggles. hi vis vest (orange) safety boots. hard hat. when cutting they want you to wear goggles, dust mask, ear plugs aswell .
all power tools to be P.A.T tested every 3 months not a year .
Doing the tests is the easy part . because of certain reasons some of the tiling companies rather use Polish / portuguese as they are slightly cheapper to pay so it
can be very frustrating at times to get seen . I havent been on an LUL site for some time so things might have changed.
If there is anything you need pm me and i see what i can do . Hope this info helps you.
Kind regards
Andy

Nice info there. :) Thank you.

Last edited:
T

Tom 1ll

We are a contractor for London Underground TFL.

Luckily we work directly for the Arts Department on invisble Terrazzo repairs and Reinstallations.

Another company that work for Londond Underground is TRI thay also do mainstream LU work.

I would say that at the moment I get about 3 calls a week from Gangs looking for Terrazzo breakout and reinstall work and it is increasing. Quite a few projects have been put on hold obviously because of the current economic climate.

As for rates you will get in the region of £180 - £220 per shift depending on experience.

ED
Hi, my name is Tom I'm looking for tiling work ore Brick work in price. I'm very good in both.
My number is 07397092329

Reply to london underground tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, We are looking for a tiler for potential tiling work in the Suffolk and Essex area. We...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x...
Replies
Views
Landsteph
L
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen