Search the forum,

Discuss Lithofin Stain Stop on travertine tiles - before and after grouting? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Katie*

We have cleaned down the tiles using a damp cloth to get rid of the chalky residue.

My plan is to seal them now with Lithofin Stain Stop, fit and then seal again.

How long should I wait between sealing the first time and fitting? And is there a special way for them to dry?

J

Jelthetiler

Re: Lithofin Stain Stop on travertine tiles - before and after groutin

Actually says it on the tin I think. I'm in the middle of 50sqm travertine job at the moment, 16 of it wet room. I sealed at 8am, 1pm and 5pm as I left, the rest will just get 2 coats. Beware that certain types of travertine will change colour the more sealant you use.
I wait 24 hours before using after the initial sealing before fixing and always make my labourer clean again with latex gloves on, I once left a Samba footprint on a tile and couldn't get it back out.

I use a normal sponge but don't apply vigorously as the sealant will start to foam. I always put on in the same motion (clock face) 9 to 3 and don't let it run onto the tiles underneath. After 30 mins or so I wipe down in the same motion (9 to 3) I put the sealant on.

I'm sure there are various ways but that's how I do it!

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Re: Lithofin Stain Stop on travertine tiles - before and after groutin

We would not recommend sealing prior to installation as this can trap moisture from adhesive and cause discolouration in some stones, some installers do this, and have never had problems but I still cant recommend .

Min 12 hours curing for stain stop,prior to grouting and one coat after.

Apply for 10-12 min on trav working in controlled sections , impregnate both face and edge, keep wet, keep moving and then buff fully dry, I use old white towels, if you get foaming when you apply ,don't worry , buff the tile completely dry after saturation time ,this will remove foam/ bubbles and all excess. Work the next section

Jelthetiler, if you ever get a footprint, this can be a slight excess sometimes, try to re activate the product.

Test one tile , more stain stop- keep on for 6-8 min , every min clean over with a white pad, the solvent in the product softens the excess and you clean with the pad, buff comp dry after 8 min.
poss one test to try. If this doesn't work , you can test product ASR under instruction of tech line to fully remove product.

Reply to Lithofin Stain Stop on travertine tiles - before and after grouting? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen