Search the forum,

Discuss Laying Brazilian Sate in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy

TF
Reaction score
Hi there Newbie here , I have a couple of questions for you guys / girls , Firstly is it possible to lay Brazilian slate tiles straight into sharp sand that’s been levelled and whacked down , Secondly which grout do you use and thirdly what to use to give a wet look too the tiles , I’ve read dozens of threads on interweb but all conflicting my head is well and truly battered many thanks for any help Andy

D

Dumbo

Do you mean sand and cement or just sand ,
Grout wise probably bal flexible wide joint grey grout .

You can put a topical sealer on to make them shine but this is not great as it wears dull , basically if you want something shiny buy something shiny , sows ears and silk purses etc ,

T

Time's Ran Out

Assuming it’s exterior and they are 50mm thick yes lay in sand!
No need to grout as it will fall out as the tiles/paviors move and nothing will stay shiny outside for very long.

Andy

TF
Reaction score
Do you mean sand and cement or just sand ,
Grout wise probably bal flexible wide joint grey grout .

You can put a topical sealer on to make them shine but this is not great as it wears dull , basically if you want something shiny buy something shiny , sows ears and silk purses etc ,
Hi it’s just sharp sand , and yes ya Ryt about silk purse n sows ears ,, I’m thinking it’s one big mess at present, cheers

B

Bill

To get a gloss finish, try a masonry varnish - did loads of slate in the eighties with a fashion to have a gloss look. It works.

D

Dumbo

Already has I recon , any tips on how to rectify the problem ? Would be greatly appreciated, cheers
Let's just clarify. When you say is it possible what you mean is you or someone has done it and how can you fix it ? Is that right

Andy

TF
Reaction score
Yes I was told to lay them on compacted sharp sand which I did now some are moving I now realise I was badly informed, Not trying to lay the blame at anyone else’s door but mine , could just do with some professional advice as how to rectify the situation, cheers
IMG_9072.jpg

Reply to Laying Brazilian Sate in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen