Search the forum,

Discuss I have finally given in......or have I been worn down? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Well,

as you all (may or may not) know I love my Rubi TS-60+........its the best cutter in the world!.......No seriously it is!!!!!!..............best everyday cutter ever, ever ever! hehheheheheeh
and I have a TX1200......it gets on my nerves......who would make a breaker that big?.......gets in the way of my hands when scribing, obscures my view of my lines......weighs and absolute ton..........
(and thats why it lives in my warehouse gathering dust!).........arrgghhh......

at the moment I am using a 1200 clinker for long cuts on 1200x600 Porcel-Thins.....and my rubi ts60+ for the short cuts..........all is going well.......but this is about to change!!!!!...........

I have just ordered my first Sigma............I went for the 3EM........on Gary's Reccomendation.........he has one and swears by it!!!!!.........oh well we will see.................

it will be delivered on Friday......I will let you know how I get on!

all the best

Lee (rubi / sigma fanboy! hehehehehhe)

P

Protilers

Ha ha!!!! knew it... did you go with PHG then Lee , oh and nice chatting.. sorry it was short but driving home from work and chatting to a southern softie was hard going :lol:

I know what you mean Dave.............I could not really understand you on the phone......you northener's speak in fork tounges.....like you are tying to conjure up a demon.....its all ech' ach and err......

all the best

Lee!.........

and I did not get it from PHG Dave......as i said on the phone (you were busy calling satan to kill me).......I needed it ASAP......I found a supplier with the cutter in stock and it will be delivered on Friday (when I am back in Meopham).......I have to go and see a very grand job tommorrow!.....meet and greet with the architect, client and surveyor.....we will see how that goes!

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

Evening all.......

Well I went back to this job where the cutter turned up on friday....and here is is:

68fo.jpg

it comes in a "coffin" box.............its huge!!!!!

after a call to Gary the tiler......to get optimal set up......this is what I ended up with:

mswa.jpg

although I have four cutters onsite (3 dry and one wet).....I decided to give this one my full attention.....its a sigma 3EM.....i think?

apparently, its the V2 version as Garys is slightly different......and here is a quick review after a days work with the machine..........

as you know my favorite tile cutter is the Rubi TS6o+.....and it still is for tiles that fit on that particular machine!!!!!!!!........

However........for tiles greater than 600mm..... I have a tx700.....and it is crap.......the breaker is too big to be useful....hits your fingers at every opportunity and generally it don't get used that much!
I have another machine that I got off Ray from feet.......its an inexpensive machine........and it's miles and miles better than the TX.............

so now onto the sigma 3EM..........for a Rubi fanboy......the fact that you scribe away from the square edge is really odd (to me!)......and i pushed the tile out of square a few times at the start of the day......
TBH only "WE" would notice the difference in the cut.......but it still got on my nerves.......

as I progressed throughout the day.....I started to notice the reason this machine exists and why it surpasses the competition by a country mile....(on large format tiles).....(thick or thin)....

the cutter is sturdy...rock solid in fact, and set up is a little backward if you are used to Rubi machines.....but once you get going you realise that the fact that the "scribe arm" can be adjusted as opposed to adjusting the " scribe wheel"..is a massive benefit....then there is the breaker itself........it clicks off by hitting the guide and "magically" re appears at the point of breaking the tile (still not sure how it does that....but it does!)...

not to mention that the "Breaker" is tiny tiny......so no smashed fingers, good point to point vision (not excellent but really good)......and does the job on large format with ease.......

IMO......its a 9/10......the only thing I was not happy with was the one thing that was an improvement over the previous version (apparently)......the support arms.......
they dont support that well (i was on an uneven floor, so this may have been my error!)........and I would have expected a metal arm on both sides as well as the "poly" arms..........but that is small bones.......

all in all.........this is the daddy of large format dry cuttters........after a days practice!.....

Lee

Reply to I have finally given in......or have I been worn down? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays