Search the forum,

Discuss How much deflection in floorboards is too much for tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I have screwed down my floorboards in all places and feels really solid but ... right up against the front door where there doesn’t appear to be a joist so it dips maybe 3-4mm with my full weight on it. The next joist is 8 inches further into the hallway and no movement . Should I rip up the floorboard and rectify or will that small amount of deflection be ok Once I have large cement board on it? It is about 6 inches from the front door that bends very slightly then the rest is solid as a rock . I’m being overly cautious do I have a solid subfloor to tile on . TIA

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
3 to 4 mm will pop your tiles.

Reaction score
Understood! Floorboards coming up tomorrow . It’s only a small area but better to have a solid floor all over . Thankyou for letting me know . I’ve researched the whole thing a lot and know here does it say the difference between really really winky boards and a gentle squeak . I’ve removed squeaks but that corner by the door needs to be reinforced . 👍🏻

Reply to How much deflection in floorboards is too much for tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen