Search the forum,

Discuss Hi, Limestone query East Anglia in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

teekaymac

Did a search for cracks in limestone floor and ended up here. Read all of Pollybrampton's and she has many of my difficulties. Bought a wreck of a house (grade 11 listed 200 year old terraced)and had a complete renovation, back to the plaster and lathe completely stripped. It was going to be our permanent home and we raised the mortgage to do the work properly.
Builder has since gone out of business as has the tile shop, the only person still around is the Architect who has said the limestone is probably faulty.

We have a limestone floor on our extension (new laid sub floor - concrete?) with underfloor heating (water) which goes into the kitchen.
The tiles have cracked in numerous places and have got worse as the years have progressed. We cannot afford to pick it up so is there any way of filling the cracks. I thought we could grind some limestone and mix it with ? to put into the cracks so wouldn't be so noticeable is this possible.
The second horror is - by the fold back doors there is a crack all along about 9 inches into the room which has cracked the limestone so it can be picked up in pieces. Any ideas? Mine is that it is the contrast between the cold from outside (the heated floor stops somewhere around that point) and the warmth from the heated floor. The builder before he went bust said it was my fault because I had turned the underfloor heating up too high too soon. That is not the case.
Can anyone offer any possible mend and make do solutions? I would be very grateful. Once that is done I will post again with the saga of the wetroom!

G

Gazzer

A bit more specific on location? . We have a number of members here that could help you out but I stress this is not a job for the casual tiler !

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi teecay,by what you are describing i dont think there is any quick fix to be honest

sounds like a rip out

how old is this installation and do you have any pics that may help

thanks

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF. As already requested, can you post some pictures and if possible, give us some details of the adhesive and grout that was used.

R

Rich

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

We need a few more details before we can give accurate advice. Very very very rarely can anything be done at this stage of a failure, it is usually a rip out and start again job Im afraid.

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome..

Could do with some more info and pics please..

The wet UFH,,?..was this fired up and running before the tiling commenced..?

What adhesive was used..?

What is the largest area that is tiled.. length by width..?

Reply to Hi, Limestone query East Anglia in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen