Search the forum,

Discuss Height difference big tiles/mosaic in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

Hello
I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm).
After researching I came to the conclusion that the big tiles will be done using buttering-floating-method (trowel 10 mm on the floor and 4 mm on the tile itself) and that the small mosaic tiles will get the mortar on the floor of the shower only.
Because of this, there will be some height difference (by big tiles there will be around 10+4 mm of mortar and by mosaic only 4 mm). How to solve this? How to insure that the height of the both tiles will be the same?
There is a small sketch I made in the attachment.

sketch.jpg

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Hello
I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm).
After researching I came to the conclusion that the big tiles will be done using buttering-floating-method (trowel 10 mm on the floor and 4 mm on the tile itself) and that the small mosaic tiles will get the mortar on the floor of the shower only.
Because of this, there will be some height difference (by big tiles there will be around 10+4 mm of mortar and by mosaic only 4 mm). How to solve this? How to insure that the height of the both tiles will be the same?

View attachment 135954
It is done with tile adhesive to create a nice smoot pitched down transition between the floor tile and mosaic. It is doable. Send us more pictures before and after. Good luck!

Hello

View attachment 135954

If I understood you correctly, you suggest putting the "big" tiles first to figure out the height at which my mosaic tiles have to be positioned. Then I can make a slope with mortar. Do you suggest putting first layer of mortar to get everything nice and sloped, and than putting mosaic tiles with new mortar? Thanks.
Yes.

Reply to Height difference big tiles/mosaic in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen