Search the forum,

Discuss Grouting square edge porcelain tiles in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Niall

-
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m laying 600 by 600 square edge porcelain tiles. Because of the square edge should the grout be brought up to the tile level to protect the Edge.

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m laying 600 by 600 square edge porcelain tiles. Because of the square edge should the grout be brought up to the tile level to protect the Edge.

How big of a joint are you using? One way I used to grout marble using a 1/16" joint and wanted to keep the joints full was to grout and try to remove as much grout from the surface. Then the grout dry (Not too long or over night) then use a white "Scotch Brite" pad and carefully remove the remaining grout and haze. I would sometime use a floor buffing machine with the those pads if the floor was more than 300 or more square feet.
if your joints are larger than a 1/16" it becomes more of a problem to keep them full, depending on the finish (matte, polished, cleft) if you wait until the joint is firm enough not to wash out, it becomes more difficult to get it off the face.
I have noticed with some of the newer grouts designed to replace unsanded and sanded if you wash too soon it will wash out of the joints, It seems to work better if you let it really set up.
Another thing is if you can't grout the whole floor at once, when you start to grout the rest (if doing on the same day) of the floor, try to dry any extra water that might be on the ungrouted section before grouting.
Just a very little amount of extra water will make the grout become too soft.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Simple answer is to try and keep the joint as full as possible, leaving the grout to set up as much as possible before washing off. Not to much pressure on the initial first wash is paramount to keep a fuller joint.

Reply to Grouting square edge porcelain tiles in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen