Search the forum,

Discuss External Corner joints - are there any pictures please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minnie

these were done with the same cutter, all external mitres, altho for safety purposes, I recom
doug-boardley-albums-sunny-hill-complete-picture5666-sunny-hill-finish-011.jpg
mended square edged trim

Are you sure you don't need to take a day trip to London. Brixton's lovely you know :smilewinkgrin:

D

diamondtiling

Minnie, cutting plastic tile trims is very easy, measure your window or corner and cut the trim to length, once you have the trim cut then you just have to cut the mitre, measure in from each end the same length as the size of the trim face, if you have 10 mm trims then the measurement is 10mm, the same for 6,8,12 etc, this will give you another line which will form a small square, you can then cut the mitre properly corner to corner, just practice on a bit of waste first, I cut them by eye but I have been doing it for years

:thumbsup:

M

Minnie

Minnie, cutting plastic tile trims is very easy, measure your window or corner and cut the trim to length, once you have the trim cut then you just have to cut the mitre, measure in from each end the same length as the size of the trim face, if you have 10 mm trims then the measurement is 10mm, the same for 6,8,12 etc, this will give you another line which will form a small square, you can then cut the mitre properly corner to corner, just practice on a bit of waste first, I cut them by eye but I have been doing it for years

:thumbsup:

Not if you've never handled a saw before. My bit of trim had jagged edges. Maybe I'll do a better job when I get a mini mitre box. :thumbsup:

M

Matt

Brixton. Why? Maybe they hide all their sharp objects out the back!

Why does Tile Giant not display any prices on anything except tiles?

I just wondered which was your local Tile Giant as they should stock most of the things you mentioned (Sadly, we don't do mitre blocks or hack saws) but we do do tile files and tile saws. We also have quite an extensive range of tiletrims.

99% of the things should be priced, tools included. I don't know why they aren't priced in the Brixton shop. Can you give any examples as to what wasn't priced? Adhesive, tools etc? (Sorry to be a pain in the bum)

I will bring up your queries with the powers that be and hopefully they will be recitified asap.

M

Minnie

I just wondered which was your local Tile Giant as they should stock most of the things you mentioned (Sadly, we don't do mitre blocks or hack saws) but we do do tile files and tile saws. We also have quite an extensive range of tiletrims.

99% of the things should be priced, tools included. I don't know why they aren't priced in the Brixton shop. Can you give any examples as to what wasn't priced? Adhesive, tools etc? (Sorry to be a pain in the bum)

I will bring up your queries with the powers that be and hopefully they will be recitified asap.

From what I can remember, only the tiles themselves are priced. I had to ask the price of tile trims, tile files (the flat mesh things as I didn't see the ones with handles), grout, adhesive. They may have tile saws, I'll have to take another look. I'll go there tomorrow and make a note of what is priced. Maybe all the prices are stuck on the back, but I don't remember seeing any prices.

PS: I'm not saying I've been ripped off. I believe I'm being charged normal prices as I've looked on the internet at prices for various things, but I just don't think it's on that prices aren't displayed clearly (if they are indeed displayed somewhere but I need my eyes checked!)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matt

From what I can remember, only the tiles themselves are priced. I had to ask the price of tile trims, tile files (the flat mesh things as I didn't see the ones with handles), grout, adhesive. They may have tile saws, I'll have to take another look. I'll go there tomorrow and make a note of what is priced. Maybe all the prices are stuck on the back, but I don't remember seeing any prices.

PS: I'm not saying I've been ripped off. I believe I'm being charged normal prices as I've looked on the internet at prices for various things, but I just don't think it's on that prices aren't displayed clearly (if they are indeed displayed somewhere but I need my eyes checked!)

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

The tools should all be priced (They should all be on the wall behind the counter with a price label). The Trims, Adhesive and Grout are not normally priced as they are difficult to label (They go in and out so quickly we would have to price every trim, bag of adhesive etc)

If you do feel there was anything wrong with the prices, feel free to post the prices you were told and I will verify them

M

Minnie

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

The tools should all be priced (They should all be on the wall behind the counter with a price label). The Trims, Adhesive and Grout are not normally priced as they are difficult to label (They go in and out so quickly we would have to price every trim, bag of adhesive etc)

If you do feel there was anything wrong with the prices, feel free to post the prices you were told and I will verify them

You mean the price list is on the wall behind the counter?

Why aren't the tools priced where they are located?

As for the Adhesive, grout etc. that's kept in the same place all the time, surely a price near or on that shelf, rather than the item itself is sufficient, but I've not even seen that.

As I said, I don't feel there's anything wrong with the prices, but I just feel like a pest (and tight) having to ask the price of everything. :lol:

For your info though, the prices that I can see from my receipts that I still have are:

Heavy Duty Metal Scribe - £2.99
Tiletrim Deep White - £5.99
Mapesil White Sealant - £7.25
Sealant Gun - £4.99
Mapeigrip 15KG Waterproof Adhesive - £24.99

I hope I'm not getting anyone into trouble here?

M

Matt

You mean the price list is on the wall behind the counter?

Why aren't the tools priced where they are located?

As for the Adhesive, grout etc. that's kept in the same place all the time, surely a price near or on that shelf, rather than the item itself is sufficient, but I've not even seen that.

As I said, I don't feel there's anything wrong with the prices, but I just feel like a pest (and tight) having to ask the price of everything. :lol:

For your info though, the prices that I can see from my receipts that I still have are:

Heavy Duty Metal Scribe - £2.99
Tiletrim Deep White - £5.99
Mapesil White Sealant - £7.25
Sealant Gun - £4.99
Mapeigrip 15KG Waterproof Adhesive - £24.99

I hope I'm not getting anyone into trouble here?

It is difficult for me to comment are whether they could price there adhesives etc. I know in my shop (Longton) we don't have anywhere to put price tickets for the adhesive/grout/trims (Not that would be visible). The shop in Brixton used to be a Tile It All or Tile Magic store so may be set out differently (I am just an assisstant manager in a shop so don't travel to other stores)

I understand your pain when it comes to asking the price for things, I feel the same way when I am in a shop :lol:

Those prices look correct from the top of my head, except for the Deep White trim which I am sure should be £4.99 not £5.99

Behind the counter there should be a section that shows our selection of tools/spacers etc and they will (Or should be) clearly priced. In my shop the tool stand is located next to the counter, so it is easy to see the prices on the counter wall

No, you aren't getting anyone in trouble (As I said, I just work in a shop so have no real authority :lol: ). Just trying to clear up some of your queries and get feedback on how you feel we as a company could perform better :thumbsup:

M

Minnie

It is difficult for me to comment are whether they could price there adhesives etc. I know in my shop (Longton) we don't have anywhere to put price tickets for the adhesive/grout/trims (Not that would be visible). The shop in Brixton used to be a Tile It All or Tile Magic store so may be set out differently (I am just an assisstant manager in a shop so don't travel to other stores)

I understand your pain when it comes to asking the price for things, I feel the same way when I am in a shop :lol:

Those prices look correct from the top of my head, except for the Deep White trim which I am sure should be £4.99 not £5.99

Behind the counter there should be a section that shows our selection of tools/spacers etc and they will (Or should be) clearly priced. In my shop the tool stand is located next to the counter, so it is easy to see the prices on the counter wall

No, you aren't getting anyone in trouble (As I said, I just work in a shop so have no real authority :lol: ). Just trying to clear up some of your queries and get feedback on how you feel we as a company could perform better :thumbsup:

:oops: That's a typo. The tile trim was £4.99. I would add that the guy did give me a discount on the adhesive because he knew I was unable to physically carry 20kg of the powder stuff up four flights of stairs so I bought the 15kg ready mix stuff, and as he knew I had lots of building up, he knew I'd probably be back for a smaller tub.

Yes, the shop was Tile Magic before. The tools are away from the counter. Will make a point of looking to see if there's a price list behind counter. However, I feel that as the tools etc. are on racks, they could be priced there without people having to probably strain to see the list behind the counter. :thumbsup:

As for how you could improve - get a website up listing the prices of tools and maybe showing your tiles. Topps have one, Walls and Floors, Tileclick, TileDealer etc. At least it gives us non-professionals an idea of what things should be costing instead of having to go on the internet. You're potentially losing out on a lot of business because I've been going on to other tile websites. The only reason I ended up going to Tile Giant as opposed to others was that I live 2 minutes away so am able to carry stuff and pop in and out as I feel the need. However, if I had a car, I would probably go somewhere else where I could see prices etc. Obviously, if you get things onto a website, you'll be doing yourself favours. I did avoid Topps even though that's 10 minutes away and I don't think they charge much for delivery, but I'd read on here they were a rip-off :thumbsup:

However, I may go to them to get some tiles cut, or do Tile Giant offer a tile cutting service as well?

Whilst we're on the subject, something seems to have happened to the wheel on the tile cutter. It's sitting flush with the rod instead of protruding so I can't cut any tiles. :mad2:

How much would a new one of those be in Tile Giant please? It's a Star 40 tile cutter if that helps.

Reply to External Corner joints - are there any pictures please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen