Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Epoxy Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, been looking g a job today, smallish kitchen floor, the owner wants glitter grout, they've seen it online. Looked into it and it turns out to be an epoxy grout. Never used it and wondered -is there any special pecaution for the tiles, other than the norm sealer, dose it go off like standard grout, how much harder to work with it than standard grout. The tile is black 600x300 polished porcelain if that has any bearing.
Any help, tips would be great
Thanks
D

T

Tile Shop

Its a lot stiffer to use so could be worth getting a hard-rubber grout float.

Wear rubber gloves, cuz if you you get it on your hands it ain't gonna come off for a while.

Get as little on the face of the tile as possible. if you get any unwanted epoxy on the surface, wipe off immediately. If you are left with any film, be careful what you use to clean it off with. On plain black polished porcelain, most grout removers can have an effect on the pigmented wax they use to do the nano-seal at the factory meaning it can discolour and lose its polished surface. (LTP suggest Powerstripper but I bet @Lithofin BOB may have some tips and tricks if that happens. I don't know him but i've heard he is a god!)

The resin can bond to and might affect the sealer you apply. After grouting, safest option is to seal again.

I've only ever done display demo's with it so that all I've got. But I'm sure others can have a bigger input on this.

I

Italy

Hi, been looking g a job today, smallish kitchen floor, the owner wants glitter grout, they've seen it online. Looked into it and it turns out to be an epoxy grout. Never used it and wondered -is there any special pecaution for the tiles, other than the norm sealer, dose it go off like standard grout, how much harder to work with it than standard grout. The tile is black 600x300 polished porcelain if that has any bearing.
Any help, tips would be great
Thanks
D
@MissTiler is master epoxy :)

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I used the Mapei glitter grout, easy as to use. Clean up with water as normal. I used the max ratio of glitter to grout. Great stuff and it gives a great result. IMG_0882.jpg IMG_0894.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Work clean, follow ratios to the letter and be prepared to throw everything you use away afterwards! Be warned....the glitter is so light and goes everywhere if you don't work neatly. Use loads of dust sheets in adjoining areas. Wear gloves, use a few buckets of water and keep a test blob nearby to check as it sets up. White emulsifying pads work best IMO. Good results when done right

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I

Italy

<
Work clean, follow ratios to the letter and be prepared to throw everything you use away afterwards! Be warned....the glitter is so light and goes everywhere if you don't work neatly. Use loads of dust sheets in adjoining areas. Wear gloves, use a few buckets of water and keep a test blob nearby to check as it sets up. White emulsifying pads work best IMO. Good results when done right

View attachment 79755 View attachment 79756
oooooooohhhhhhhhhh
again this wonderful coating ;) like

Reaction score
Kerakoll fugalite eco can be used with glitter and meant to be more user friendly than standard epoxy. I've never used it though.
Yes I would go for Kerakoll's Fugalite its really loads easier to use than epoxy... Kerapoxy etc.
All you need is plenty of water & good Clean sponges, you dont need any emulsifying pads, You can get Fuga wash to put into the water as well to help wash off, & after its dry 24-48 hours if ou do have any residue you can get Fuga soap to wash it down with...

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

View attachment 79755 View attachment 79756
what make of grout did youn use on that job@Plan Tec Tiling, there real neat lines, how did you achieve this. Thanks.

Q

Qwerty

what make of grout did youn use on that job@Plan Tec Tiling, there real neat lines, how did you achieve this. Thanks.

Mapei Mapeiglitter. Following the instructions to the letter, using white emulsifying pads and plenty of clean water. I did use LTP solvex after to clean the residue off of the face of the mosaic as epoxy leaves a very slight film.

50% merit, is tile good :)

You're right my Italian buddy! Maybe 25% though eh!? :D

Q

Qwerty

I used the Mapei glitter grout, easy as to use. Clean up with water as normal. I used the max ratio of glitter to grout. Great stuff and it gives a great result. View attachment 79752 View attachment 79753

Without being too critical, that to me looks a bit messy. I appreciate that the mosaic is full of dips, but it stands out. There is residue all over the face of the mosaic too and the joints don't look uniform. Was the photo taken prior to wiping down?

Reply to Epoxy Grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks