Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Crunchy Edwardian Tiled Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SimonC

Hi all,

Hoping you can help. My house has a geometric tiled floor which was under carpet when we moved in.

I've tried cleaning it with brick acid, but didnt dilute the acid enough or didnt clean up with enough alkaline. Now the tiles make a crunch sound in a few places when I walk on it. I suspect I've managed to dissolve a thin layer of the substrate (not sure if lime or concrete).

Any ideas if I can squirt some type of liquid adhesive to soak under the tiles (they are around 2in by 4 mostly)?

Thanks in advance!
Simon

R

Russel

Hi Mate

These floors are tricky, I had a problem like that before and I spread a wettish mix of tiling adhesive all over the floor as if it where grout, working it into all the little gaps and joints. It firmed up nicely however mind the color of the adhesive as it will need to dry a medium grey or darker. You need to test this as sometimes grey adhesives have a bad look when they dry where they get white patches.
If you threw acids on the floor I would suggest cleaning it with detergent, letting it dry out thoroughly and then sealing it. The acids dont take out all the dirt so a nice stiff bristled broom and appropriate cleaner such as Stain remover from Topps will do the trick. Thoroughly rinse though!

S

SimonC

Why didn't you get a professional in to sort it out ?????
Hi Mate

These floors are tricky, I had a problem like that before and I spread a wettish mix of tiling adhesive all over the floor as if it where grout, working it into all the little gaps and joints. It firmed up nicely however mind the color of the adhesive as it will need to dry a medium grey or darker. You need to test this as sometimes grey adhesives have a bad look when they dry where they get white patches.
If you threw acids on the floor I would suggest cleaning it with detergent, letting it dry out thoroughly and then sealing it. The acids dont take out all the dirt so a nice stiff bristled broom and appropriate cleaner such as Stain remover from Topps will do the trick. Thoroughly rinse though!
Thanks for the response - might well give that a go.

Is there any other type of liquid that I can inject between the gaps and help solidify the substrate?

Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

Ok - there is an epoxy injection resin that can be pumped through a 2mm hole in the grout.
Bad news it's expensive and I haven't a clue who does it.
As for cleaning - try nitromorse on a test area.

S

SJPurdy

Acid is only going to be much use in cleaning things like cement residues off. As this floor had been covered with carpet then I would guess that you have general dirt that has built up underneath it over time as well as the residues of old sealants/polishes/waxes (which would not be cleaned off using acid). I would recommend that you try an good deep-clean/intensive tile cleaner (correctly diluted) on the surface to start with; if this still leaves surface-polish like residues then try something like wax-off.
As for the crunching sound I think this will be due to some of the tiles being de-bonded from the substrate but I doubt that this is caused by the acid clean. Many of the old floors that I have seen have had some de-bonded areas. Sorry I've no really helpful suggestions other than if really bad then lift and replace the affected areas.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

you can try this some times it will do the trick in small areas first clean the floor then reseal the tiles
then drill some small pilot holes in the grout joints about 15 to 20mm deep now get some plastercine and go round the perimter on the cracking tiles about 15 mm high now get some ardion 90 mix with 80% water now poor in side the plastcine ring abot 1o mm high this will be draw into the floor through the ho;es now just gently
tap the top of the tiles this will draw the mixture along the under side of the tiles leave for about 1 hour if the mixture has all gone add a little more if not clean away the exsses .over the next 24 hour the water will dry out leaving the ardion 90 to set .

S

SimonC

Acid is only going to be much use in cleaning things like cement residues off. As this floor had been covered with carpet then I would guess that you have general dirt that has built up underneath it over time as well as the residues of old sealants/polishes/waxes (which would not be cleaned off using acid). I would recommend that you try an good deep-clean/intensive tile cleaner (correctly diluted) on the surface to start with; if this still leaves surface-polish like residues then try something like wax-off.
As for the crunching sound I think this will be due to some of the tiles being de-bonded from the substrate but I doubt that this is caused by the acid clean. Many of the old floors that I have seen have had some de-bonded areas. Sorry I've no really helpful suggestions other than if really bad then lift and replace the affected areas.
Thanks for the advice re cleaner

S

SimonC

you can try this some times it will do the trick in small areas first clean the floor then reseal the tiles
then drill some small pilot holes in the grout joints about 15 to 20mm deep now get some plastercine and go round the perimter on the cracking tiles about 15 mm high now get some ardion 90 mix with 80% water now poor in side the plastcine ring abot 1o mm high this will be draw into the floor through the ho;es now just gently
tap the top of the tiles this will draw the mixture along the under side of the tiles leave for about 1 hour if the mixture has all gone add a little more if not clean away the exsses .over the next 24 hour the water will dry out leaving the ardion 90 to set .

S

SimonC

Thanks Ray, sounds like a good idea - leaving the solution to soak into the substrate, will look into this. Cheers

Reply to Crunchy Edwardian Tiled Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks