Search the forum,

Discuss Clean grout from new bathroom tiles in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think the easiest way would be to get the tiler back to do his job properly, imho.

F

Flintstone

Pointing with a grout bag and also using a tempory sealer is the way with these tiles. The bloke who's done the job is either totally incompetent or doesn't care. Yes there a pain to grout but so what, everything's a pain, you just get on with it. Call him back and tell him to sort his mess out.

Rudy45

TF
Reaction score
Yea he’s coming back, phoned him today.

But what can he do that I already haven’t.

He told me that day the tiles would need cleaned the next day. I definitely attempted to clean them the next day but it was rock solid.

Maybe he was expecting as easy clean if done within 24 hours.

Rudy45

TF
Reaction score
I think sanding is the way forward, going to try different grades behind the sink to test how coarse I can go

T

Tile Shop

If he gets too over-excited with sanding, even though the tiles are porcelain you can still tarnish the pattern. I personally wouldn't risk it.

It's hard on walls as grout removers ideally need to stay on the grout while it works. Gravity don't take too kindly to that idea on wall tiles.

The last time I had to do it with the LTP Grout Stain Remover (other brands are available), I put the solution in a spray bottle, shook the hell out of it to foam it up a little, sprayed it on the grout and constantly scrubbed with a mixture of a stiff bristled brush and a black emulsifying pad, occasionally spraying more solution on to keep it actively working. It will take the grout off slowly and you may need to use it neat, possibly 2-3 treatments in heavily soiled areas, but it will eventually work.

But very important, whoever does it using this method needs to open a window, wear a face-mask, goggles, rubber gloves, mask anything that is metal and give it a good rinse when its done.

Best of luck.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That's a poor grouting job and will, be a pita to correct, but needs doing take some advise from the the grout manufacturer on products suitable to remove the excess and as John said above be careful the product will be acid based ppe and make sure the area is well ventilated. Kop
This is my post word for word please look above nice to see or foreign tilers contributing but please add your own recommendations to help the original poster

O

Old Mod

This is my post word for word please look above nice to see or foreign tilers contributing but please add your own recommendations to help the original poster

And there’s me putting you on a watch list Wayne, cos I thought you’d forgotten yourself and signed off on a second profile! Hmmmmm :tearsofjoy:

Reply to Clean grout from new bathroom tiles in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen