Search the forum,

Discuss What should i board walls with? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richiep

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused as to the best way to approach a job in my own house. The house is on the market, and i'm doing my bathroom out so it is more appealing. However, even though i want to move i still want to do a proper job.

I have 2 outer walls that are block, plastered and painted with emulsion. The other 2 walls around the bath are stud walls, plastered and tiled. I will obviously be removing and replacing the whole stud walls, but am not sure whether to replace with plasterboard again or to use something else.

I wish to tile all four walls now, and i'm unsure as to whether i can put tile backer board on walls or not, or even how to fix them as i have not used these products before.

I suppose in short, my question is, can i line all my walls with tile backer board of some sort? If so which is the best to use for 200mm x 300mm ceramic tiles? Or should i line all walls with 9mm plasterboard?

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

I

Ian

The backer board route is probably the best one in my opinion but probably a bit more expensive than using plasterboard. I you use plasterboard, use 12.5mm and tank any wet areas, if you use backer board use 12mm and make sure joints and internal corners are sealed with silicone. Also, don't be tempted to tile over the painted walls, either use a paint steamer and scrape it off or, sand it back.

D

DHTiling

Hi Rich... again IMO 12.5mm PB will be fine.. and as above if the need is required then tank wet areas..

R

richiep

Hi Rich... again IMO 12.5mm PB will be fine.. and as above if the need is required then tank wet areas..

Can i dot and dab plasterboard straight over the painted walls then tile straight on top of the plasterboard? I don't particularly want to spend ages scraping paint off.

Thanks, Rich

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Can i dot and dab plasterboard straight over the painted walls then tile straight on top of the plasterboard? I don't particularly want to spend ages scraping paint off.

Thanks, Rich
Well, then you are depending on the paint layer supporting the increased weight of the p/b adhesive, p/b, tile adhesive and tiles....... You could mechanically fix the p/b although not that easy to get it plumb. I would roughen the paint as much as poss, SBR bond it and it should hold ceramics ok

Reply to What should i board walls with? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen