Search the forum,

Discuss wall tiling (kitchen splashbacks) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

huffy

Hi guys,

firstly i want to apologise for the length this question is going to be, and secondly thank you for the great help and advise i found on here whilst laying and tiling over my underfloor heating. (i will add all the photos to the projects when the kitchen is complete)

so far i have got the underfloor heating down, tiled the floor and now have most of the kitchen in, bar a few appliance doors (where i am waiting on drilling templates)

anyway, i will be starting to tile the splashbacks, which i will be 2 work surfaces at 3M long and about .5M high, with one window which will need tiling part way up the reveal. there are a couple of sockets on the second work surface. the kitchen is in an 'L' shape if it makes it a bit clearer. anyway i have a rake of question and queries which i would greatly appreiciate you help with.

here goes.

1. the work surfaces are nice and level, so am i ok going straight off them, or would you still batton / spirit level?

2. is it best to run sealant along the edge of the worktop (where it meets the wall) before and after i tile or will tiling and sealant afterwards be ok?

3. any advise on adhesive and grout would be appreciated, the tiles are white so i'll be using white grout. the wall is new plaster (dried for 6 weeks now) so will i need to seal it (i guess that depends on the adhesive)

4. would the adhesive need to be heat resistant as the tiles will run behind the hob?

5. and starting points? one worktop has the window as the main feature, so will the centre line of this be the starting point?, and likewise for the hob and extractor chimney on the other wall?

6. do you all use the trims around window reveals and edges, or do you just use sealant to create the finished edge?

REALLY SORRY for all the questions, i found the floor a challenge due to the shape of the room but am over the moon with the results and it is largley down to the help and advise found on here, keep up the good work guys :) :) :)

cheers Huffy

G

GazLC81

Hi Huffy,

1. I would draw a line the height of one tile all the way around the kitchen walls and start to tile straight from the work top. This way there is no need for a baton but you can keep an eye on your levels. Leave a small gap, 2mm should be fine for any expansion between tile and worktop.

2 Just sealant afterwards no need to do it before.

3 You will need to prime the walls before tiling. BAL acrylic primer will do the trick.
I swear by BAL Whitestar, really easy to use and the tiles don't move with that stuff on em! Depending on the gap you are leaving for your grout I would recommend BAL microflex to cope with the heat causing expansion etc

4 I think I am right in saying Whitestar can cope with 100 degrees Celsius so this will be fine!

5 You're spot on, centre on the window and hob/extractor

6 Use trim as this will give a far superior finish, sealant won't be as neat.

HTH

Post pics when you are done!
Gaz

H

huffy

thanks Gaz (and everyone else) top notch......

i'll post some before, during and after pics in the project section when i get chance.

Thanks again all.

huffy:)

Reply to wall tiling (kitchen splashbacks) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen. We were going...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen