Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine Clean/Repair or Replace in a pub toilet. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jlktiling

Hi guys,

Need some advice.

Our local pub had some gorgeous honed and filled travertine fitted by previous landlords in the mens toilets.

They were sealed when fitted, kept clean etc etc.

When these Landlords left, the pub got some landlords who basically didnt give two hoots about cleaning in general, and under the urinals, and by the pan and sink, the stone has stained badly with urine etc etc. They havent been sealed for over 2 years (or cleaned)

The pub once again has a new Landlord, who has asked me to give the loos attention again.

Now, do i try to:
restore, if so how.(sand back?)
Clean, if so what with.(best product?)
Or replace- If so, do i need to do something to the substrate as im sure the urine would have soaked through the pouros travertine.

Please let me know the best action to take with these. Obviously they would rather not replace if possible.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mark@Fila

Hi John,
First you can give the tiles a clean with Fila PS87, Diluted 1:5, then reseal using Fila Stone Plus, this is a impregnating sealer that will also enhance the colour, therefore hiding the stains.

Mark

J

jlktiling

Thanks Mark. I'll take some photos of the floor so you can see the level of staining. It's terrible. And it's mostly around the urinals, so the other parts of the floor are dirty, but not stained. I don't think any cleaning product will clean right back. But it's worth a try.

M

murray marble

Hi John
I had the same problem in a pub in Dublin . To resolve the problem we had to grind down the floor to the depth of the urine stain and then repolished and resealed.You would prob be best to call in your local marble restorer to advise you on doing this.

T

Topshop

I agree with Murray but I would try to clean out the stone as much as possible first with a truckmount or an extractor. The acidic nature of the cleners will remove any polish on the stone but the urine has probable already done that anyway. I would jave the stone resurfaced but left at a honed finish. Be sure all the stain is out that you want out and any color enhancing to match is done before it is properly sealed.

J

jlktiling

Here are some photos of the offending floor!
09EEC3EC-EE03-421E-BA90-54160D9C31FC-4042-000003F78D0C167C_zps6c8dab6e.jpg

2F240328-57B9-408F-812F-4D53EFA4E8DE-4042-000003F783118141_zpsc08cb065.jpg

4D55DA27-8CEA-46F6-9D7E-71805D799986-4042-000003F77AABB4CC_zps2d1d951d.jpg

Reply to Travertine Clean/Repair or Replace in a pub toilet. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen