Search the forum,

Discuss First time tiling with marble. Advice please in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Lol you seem to jack of all trades !!underpinning a house properly also requires skill
The underpinning, along with all my work on this house is being controlled by LABC.

I look at everything as a process. I am a degree qualified engineer having worked for several years in manufacturing. Whilst I don't claim to have in depth knowledge about very much I have learned that a combination of knowledge, aptitude and skills brought on to many jobs can achieve the correct result.

If the skills are lacking one can do a certain amount to reduce the skill level needed for the job. There are loads of tools out there that aim to do exactly that.

In the case of the marble tiling I know that marble tiles will be less forgiving than ceramic or porcelain, so from the point of process I need to be ontop of my game.

Reaction score
Hi Hugo.
You will be adding a lot of weight to those walls , the substrate needs to be suitable to take the weight. A suitable backer board will be required IMHO.
Thanks Dave, and long time no see!

Three of the walls are solid concrete block. The 4th is a stud wall that I was going to use wedi board and plasterboard.

From what you're saying do I use hardbacker on all the walls with mechanical fixing and waterproof the shower area, or just the stud wall.

Also will wediboard support the tiles, or do I use hardibacker and then waterproof?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, and long time no see!

Three of the walls are solid concrete block. The 4th is a stud wall that I was going to use wedi board and plasterboard.

From what you're saying do I use hardbacker on all the walls with mechanical fixing and waterproof the shower area, or just the stud wall.

Also will wediboard support the tiles, or do I use hardibacker and then waterproof?
What is covering the block walls ?

Reaction score
After much thought I have decided to explain to the customer that this is a job I do not wish to take on.

1 I am busy with a huge amount of non tiling work, including work on my own house.

2 I know the customers have an eye for detail and have picked up on issues with the decorating etc. A 2nd rate job would be an expensive mistake for them. And as I don't actually tile that often I don't think it would work too well.

Ive got plenty of other work with the same customer, and he was absolutely fine with me telling him I didn't want to do it. I volunteered my services before I realised he wanted marble lol

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
After much thought I have decided to explain to the customer that this is a job I do not wish to take on.

1 I am busy with a huge amount of non tiling work, including work on my own house.

2 I know the customers have an eye for detail and have picked up on issues with the decorating etc. A 2nd rate job would be an expensive mistake for them. And as I don't actually tile that often I don't think it would work too well.

Ive got plenty of other work with the same customer, and he was absolutely fine with me telling him I didn't want to do it. I volunteered my services before I realised he wanted marble lol
It is probably a very wise decision Hugo and good of you to realise it wasn’t an easy project.

Reaction score
It is probably a very wise decision Hugo and good of you to realise it wasn’t an easy project.
Well we can't all be good at everything. I have my strengths and with time being of the essence I'm happy to apply them where they are needed.

If he was going with ceramic, porcelain or even a wet room that would have been fine. I've done all of those a few times

Reply to First time tiling with marble. Advice please in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen