Search the forum,

Discuss First commercial tiling job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

afright

TF
Reaction score
First things first,I would start of by learning to grout, (Ive come across a few lads in my time that have messed jobs up because they dont take it all in )Grouting can make or break a job, I spent most of my first three years grouting,it was the proudest day of my life when my boss gave me my first tiling job (splashbacks in a block of council flats),you know what they say walk before you can run.

G

Gazzer

First things first,I would start of by learning to grout, (Ive come across a few lads in my time that have messed jobs up because they dont take it all in )Grouting can make or break a job, I spent most of my first three years grouting,it was the proudest day of my life when my boss gave me my first tiling job (splashbacks in a block of council flats),you know what they say walk before you can run.

I can remember the owner of a local tile store when I was young saying that too me " Grouting can either make or break a job" ....I reckon more diy jobs are messed up at the grouting stage...How many times has a nother trade or a client come up to you and said that Grouting is the hard part and the part they hate......?

S

Sean SML Tiling

I can remember the owner of a local tile store when I was young saying that too me " Grouting can either make or break a job" ....I reckon more diy jobs are messed up at the grouting stage...How many times has a nother trade or a client come up to you and said that Grouting is the hard part and the part they hate......?

I hear that all the time neale. I love grouting as I know the jobs nearly finished :) also with grouting if you don't have the right mixture say too wet you will get air bubbles grout sinks and its a pain ti actually get a nice finish

afright

TF
Reaction score
Its when you see some jobs were the tiler can not be bothered polishing really gets me,that's what really makes the job ,I sometimes take twice as long to polish as I do to grout,you leave a dirty job and the customer will find more faults.

C

charlie1

Do you polish same day?

Yea, some grouts if you leave till the next day, it can be hell to polish. I usually give 2 washes, changing water regularly and minding not to saturate tile, always make sure sponge is rung out completely

S

Sean SML Tiling

Same here. I left a job once after I grouted as I was in the area next day and thought id pop in to polish what a mistake lol took me around 3 hours as I left a little too much grout on the sponge so it went hard. I guess we all learn from our mistakes.

M

Mr Tiler

I personally feel my grouting up skills are pretty slow.. but the jobs done best to my knowledge but as you say mate you was doing it for 3 years I havnt done anywhere near as much grouting as you had in the first 12 months no doubt. you guys can be the judge of that when you see my work on the future and hopefully with your help I can improve and perfect each individual stage of my workmanship.

Reply to First commercial tiling job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen