Discuss eggbox walls in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

i'm starting (prepping) a bathroom on wednesday and on inspecting it this evening i see 2 walls are of eggbox construction. (which i've never come across before ) 1 wall is the main shower wall and has had sections of the plasterboard cut out for the new shower pipes, what's the best way of repairing this wall? i was thinking of removing the eggbox from the damaged area and dot and dab plasterboard in its place. it's about 40 mm deep to the next layer of plasterboard if that makes sense. overboarding is not an option as wall will then overlap architraves and shower tray .. cheers:thumbsup:

W

White Room

Don't try and remove egg box type stuff or you could do more damage than good, could use thistle bonding or some rapid tile adhesive in layers but cover the copper pipes so the cement base adhesive dos'nt attack the copper..

I

IvegotsTILE

I've come across this once before,major pain.The only way we got around was to screw a plasterboard over the top which obviously created a lap in the wall.This was the customers idea cause we couldnt fill in the holes and I used some trim and made a bit of a feature with it and it actually looked good in the end.I know its probably not much help Mike,the stuff is awful,tooch wood I dont come across it again.

M

Mike

Cheers, the floor should be fun too, the joists look like 4 by 2 scants on their side, its a steel frame house

tapatalk on my HTC

T

TheWrightTiler

done one a while back mike, ended up knocking through, restudding and sheeting up was a right pita

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I did what you were thinking of doing Mike but used my fein to cut the eggbox out, this ensured the rest of the paramount board retained its strength and only removed the eggcrate that was exposed. Stuck a couple of pieces of plasterboard onto the opposite plasterboard (now exposed) with dry walls adhesive. Skimmed over next day with spf.
Worked great and all good 4 years on.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have the same walls in my place.............when I needed to patch a hole (can't remember why) I fixed 2 batons on the inside of the egg box section, and just screwed a piece of plasterboard to them. Bit of scrim tape. Jobs a good-en

Reply to eggbox walls in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley